Talk

Advanced search

AGA owners, turn off for the summer?

(15 Posts)
TheGashlycrumbTinies Sun 13-May-12 21:05:59

We are trying to cut down on the amount of oil we use, so are thinking about turning off the AGA this summer. My question is what do you use to bake / roast / cook in if all you have is a hob?

We have been looking at combination microwaves and table top cookers, but not sure if these will provide what we want.

Any ideas? smile

TheGashlycrumbTinies Mon 14-May-12 08:59:52

bump

hiddenhome Mon 14-May-12 11:24:20

Perhaps a halogen oven might be an option for you. We don't have one, but I've seen them on the shopping channel and they look quite good. They're not that big either.

TheGashlycrumbTinies Mon 14-May-12 21:22:30

Anymore??

QuickLookBusy Mon 14-May-12 21:27:48

Sorry not much help, but we put in a separate electric oven.

Jajas Mon 14-May-12 21:28:09

We have a combination microwave and a gas hob.

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Mon 14-May-12 21:29:23

We always mean to turn ours off once the weather heats up, but we enevr actually do.
We had a companion electric oven so if we did turn it off we would use that instead.

wishingchair Tue 15-May-12 10:33:10

We have a separate oven and hob (kitchen gets way too hot in teh summer to have the aga on). But my mum has a table top halogen oven and loves it. She has it because she doesn't like heating her oven just to cook something small for her and my dad. She's a fab cook and manages very well with it!

Jajas Tue 15-May-12 12:18:52

I wish it would get warm enough to turn the bloody thing off!

countrylifemummy Tue 15-May-12 23:16:22

I have never turned mine off as I find it never gets too warm in the kitchen and the thought of turning it off with weather like this! I can understand you want to save fuel though. A plug in kettle, toaster, microwave combi and hob should do the trick for the summer months. If you were looking at turning it off for longer periods ie spring and autumn as well, you could look at getting something more perminant like the companion or an intergrated oven.

shuttla Fri 18-May-12 17:43:17

You might want to give Cool Covers a try; we've got them, and they cool the kitchen down for us.

RunningJennie Fri 18-May-12 18:26:26

We have 3 oven gas AGA and in summer (still waiting this year...) it is too hot in the kitchen. We generally just put up with it, husband moans about it so sometimes we down the burner, this helps a bit but then things take quite a bit longer to cook, esp on the hot hob. What are cool covers and will they work with a gas AGA?

zzzzz Tue 22-May-12 18:40:12

I have an electric oven as well because I have a huge family, but we turn off in the summer. If I didn't have another oven already I think I would buy one of those big gas BBQs so we could roast a jointing that if we wanted but would also have the outside eating option.

www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/weber-bbq-rotisserie-barbecue-grill-gas-rotisserie/product/

Robbie22 Mon 28-May-12 11:25:34

On the cool covers question, I haven't used them but am thinking of getting some. There is a cool covers web site if you google. They appear to be some kind of high-tech insulating pad that goes directly under the hob covers and stops the heat leaking, so also saves gas. Anybody else had experience with them? Does it really make kitchen cooler?

Ladydarcy Tue 15-Nov-16 07:43:45

Can I ask how /if you ever got on with the cool covers? They are not made anymore and I can't find any second hand- so either they just didn't take off or they weren't any good! They sound just what Ian looking for!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now