Talk

Advanced search

Bought a new shower hose but it leaks, what have I done wrong?

(12 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Mon 16-Apr-12 07:12:33

Screwed it into the adaptor on the wall and it sprayed from there. The old one didn't, so it's not the adaptor itself. I tightened it enough (the packaging warns against over tightening) and the washer was in and looks in the right position. What can I have done wrong?

StealthPolarBear Mon 16-Apr-12 12:57:17

bump - this one's so dull that even I had forgotten all about it grin

wandawings Mon 16-Apr-12 13:38:43

My new hose t

StealthPolarBear Mon 16-Apr-12 13:43:35

Thanks grin

Tanyaaah Mon 16-Apr-12 13:45:05

Maybe your water pressure is too high for it? Or it's crap/faulty. Hmm, even a dull answer.

StealthPolarBear Mon 16-Apr-12 14:01:46

Thanks. I don't think our water pressure is excessive. Do ou think its worth returning it? Or will I be laughed at?

MrsMagnolia Mon 16-Apr-12 14:15:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PigletJohn Mon 16-Apr-12 14:17:55

It will not be the water pressure.

It might be that the threaded ends don't fit, or are different depths. Verify that is screws on easily and freely Measure the old one from the end of the bit that goes inside the wall hitting, to the shoulder of the threaded collar, and compare it to the new. If it just a small gap, a couple more rubber washers may do the trick. Otherwise you will have to find another hose, possibly from the company that made the shower or wall fitting. Is it a UK brand?

StealthPolarBear Mon 16-Apr-12 14:21:25

The shower was just installed fairly recently by a local company. New hose was from homebase, 'universal fitting'. Will have a look at other washers etc, thank you

PigletJohn Mon 16-Apr-12 14:21:29

p.s.
PTFE tape is used for tapered screw fittings and a few others that are supposed to make a seal, but on a shower hose, the screw is not the seal, the end of the hose has a flat end that is supposed to press with a rubber washer against a flat surface inside the wall fitting. The screw is a loose easy fitting and does not seal.

The screw threads on for example the nuts of compression plumbing fittings are also not the water seal, and should not have tape or compound on them.

MrsMagnolia Mon 16-Apr-12 15:38:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

incorrigible Mon 06-Jun-16 11:56:11

I know this is a zombie thread but I just had the same problem, and this thread came up on the google search for a solution.

I did manage to solve it so thought I'd post in case it's useful for others.

The thread on the outlet was covered in limescale so I descaled that a bit first, but it didn't help.

Then I added a second washer to the end of the hose, with some Vaseline between the two washers. I tightened it a bit more too (still finger tight, but with a towel in hand to get a better grip). That worked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now