Help, whats the best way to unblock a sink

(15 Posts)
chocolateandcoffee Thu 29-Mar-12 11:04:46

the water is moving very very slowly through my kitchen sink.

I have tried bleach and boiling hot water, also I have removed the u bend, its clear.

I have no plunger

Any ideas?

Scootergrrrl Thu 29-Mar-12 11:08:38

A big empty milk carton (the bigger the better) - hold it over the plughole and squeeze it really hard and fast to send air down the pipes. Always works for us.

BlingLoving Thu 29-Mar-12 11:10:57

Did this come on suddenly? As a result of putting something down there specifically? We had this once where someone trying to be helpful but clearly being completely clueless emptied an entire roasting tray of pork fat down the drain! Boiling water worked... but I had to pour about 15 kettles of the stuff down there before it finally did.

Otherwise, I'd pop out and get some drain unblocker. You put it in there, leave for a bit and hopefully it clears it.

Itsjustafleshwound Thu 29-Mar-12 11:13:39

Caustic soda ?

bellabelly Thu 29-Mar-12 11:16:18

If you use a plunger/plunger substitute, make sure you cover the overflow hole towards the top of your sink, otherwise you will just get dirty water spurting out at you, like I did.

jalopy Thu 29-Mar-12 16:09:52

Do this late evening.

Put caustic soda down sink. Leave for 1/2 an hour. Rinse with hot water and then leave the sink well alone overnight. The residual caustic soda in the waste pipes will unblock any remaining gunk and it should be unclogged by morning.

PigletJohn Thu 29-Mar-12 17:28:02

buy a plunger (or a pump, which is I think better)

observe all other sanitary fittings to see if they are draining or flushing correctly. If not the blockage may be in the soil pipe or downstream.

Where does the sink waste pipe go to? An internal soil pipe, or an outside gully?

Do you know anyone who pours cooking fat down the sink?

Before it gets dark, walk round the house and see what manhole covers are there. You may need to open one or more of them later.

overmydeadbody Thu 29-Mar-12 17:30:27

I'd do what jalopy said too.

PigletJohn Thu 29-Mar-12 17:38:04

I didn't think Caustic Soda was widely sold? Where do you get it? Very bad for making holes in skin and eyes.

Washing Soda, yes, which is not the same.

Itsjustafleshwound Thu 29-Mar-12 17:56:45

I got mine at Homebase ...def caustic soda crystals

MummyNickleby Fri 30-Mar-12 09:08:14

I found Mr Muscle for "slow draining sinks" to be excellent, don't be tempted by similar products they are crap
I thought my sink was needing a plunger / plumber but one go of the slow-draining sink stuff and hey presto... All flowing nicely smile

Tracey67 Tue 28-Feb-17 22:09:16

I tried using a plunger for about ten minutes but just made it worse. I've got a double sink and water just kept spraying everywhere. So I threw a load of washing up liquid down there and left it for a couple of minutes. Then I put a kettle full of boiling water down it. I plunged it again whilst holding a sponge over the other plug and hey presto blockage gone! 😀

Moresaltedcaramel Wed 01-Mar-17 13:46:41

Local village shop sells caustic soda.
I generally (frequently) use washing soda, as despite being told regularly, DH persists in tipping fat, coffee grounds, tea leaves etc down the sink. Perhaps I should just LTB.

DancingHouse Mon 13-Mar-17 21:10:57

Poundworld sell causic soda

Tightarseinleggings Sat 18-Mar-17 09:46:34

Buy a plunger! Use it with soda crystals and hot water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now