Talk

Advanced search

Washing up - brush v. cloth/sponge?

(19 Posts)
TimeWasting Fri 03-Feb-12 10:19:17

I find myself considering a washing up brush for the first time in my life - benefits, drawbacks etc?
Can you use them on everything one might wash up?

grin

oreocrumbs Fri 03-Feb-12 10:45:14

I much prefer a brush, and yes I use it on everything. I find you can get a better scrubbing action on the pots and they are earlier to get into glasses with.

Also easier to pop them in some hot water with bleach now and then to clean them. I find dishcloths and sponges smell very quickly, if they are not taken care off and dired/aired correctly.

TimeWasting Fri 03-Feb-12 11:02:08

This is the thing, I basically use a fresh cloth everyday and have a pile of stinky cloths waiting til theres enough for a load to go in the washer.

oreocrumbs Fri 03-Feb-12 11:10:19

Me too!. Then they get stained etc, I just much prefer a brush. If a brush gets clogged up with porridge etc you just rinse it, bnut a cloth gets all claggy and you have to try ang get it out!

TimeWasting Fri 03-Feb-12 11:28:33

I'm definitely being won over.
My dilemma is that I'd still need cloths on the kitchen for wiping surfaces so it wouldn't totally eliminate the stinky cloth situation...

oreocrumbs Fri 03-Feb-12 11:47:35

You do, but I wipe my benches with hot soapy water with a spash of bleach in, and after they are wiped, lay it over the drainer to dry. Still doesn't get rid of the problem but its only getting used once at a time rather than pretty much constantly so not as much of a chore!

Ikea do a good washing up brush, its about £1 and a nice shape (sort of elongated) so it goes into tall glasses etc.

RachelHRD Fri 03-Feb-12 13:37:38

Agree brush is much better for washing up and if you use J-cloths for cleaning surfaces you can hang them over the taps/drainer and they dry pretty quickly. I then chuck them out after a week or so - using them for floor or bin cleaning or something similar first.

PigletJohn Fri 03-Feb-12 17:25:10

a brush is hygenic, a cloth isn't.

With a sponge, you can, after rinsing it clean, squeeze a bit of washing up liquid into it so it foam before you put it aside. The WUL will prevent bacterial growth that makes cloths stink. Also, of course, next time you use it, and squeeze it out under the hot tap, it will wash away any residual traces of grease and grime. There is no organic material in the sponge to rot or feed bacteria or mould.

PrimaBallerina Sat 04-Feb-12 18:27:41

I have all three for different purposes. Was I supposed to choose???

I can't imagine doing all my washing up with a brush. It would seem 'scratchy' somehow.

Just re-read that. It makes no sense.

Seona1973 Sat 04-Feb-12 18:44:11

I have a brush for washing the wok, a spontex scouring sponge for baking trays and other dishes that dont go in the dishwasher. I also have a bottle brush for cleaning out sports cups, tall glasses, etc.

Seona1973 Sat 04-Feb-12 18:47:00

p.s. i have a sink tidy to keep the brushes, sponge, etc in when not in use

Bunbaker Sat 04-Feb-12 18:48:22

I use one of those washing up sponges with a scouring side to it. I don't find brushes that good and cloths are useless at getting stuck on food off.

Gentleness Sun 05-Feb-12 21:44:33

A brush to rinse off the worst debris (asap in theory) before stacking everything ready to be washed. I hate washing up without a brush! Then a sponge with washing up liquid on it to do a quick wipe over when I've time to do the proper washing up. It means there isn't dried on yuck to deal with and the sponge stays fresher longer as (unless dh decides to wash up) it doesn't get clagged up with gunk.

dizzyday07 Sun 05-Feb-12 22:42:58

I have a brush and a sponge and a cloth!

The brush is used to get DH's spot-welded cooking off the pots/pyrex/trays.

Sponge used on everything else.

I have a cloth that has a metallic side to it that can be used too on the pots & pyrex but it also is great for the cooker and can then be thrown in the wash.

TimeWasting Mon 06-Feb-12 10:20:52

I used the brush yesterday and in the morning light, everything on the draining board is still dirty! sad

Is there some special technique???

Bienchen Tue 07-Feb-12 13:09:51

Lakeland washing up brushes are fab. White handle, blue bristles. link here Pricey but last up to a year and then get put outside for cleaning mucky boots, patio furniture, wheels, etc.

Would never go back to other brushes or a cloth. Once a week a clean the kitchen sink, then fill with bleachy solution and immerse the brush; this shifts any stains in the sink and the brush is hygienic.

mousymouseafraidofdogs Tue 07-Feb-12 13:17:14

brush here + (scratchy sponge) for the tough stuff.

TimeWasting Tue 07-Feb-12 13:37:37

I'm getting on well with it now, cleaning the cutlery with it feels awkward, but getting there.

Steeley1970 Wed 03-Feb-16 21:29:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now