Talk

Advanced search

How do you hang pictures from picture rail? <dim>

(17 Posts)
MrsPlugThePlumber Tue 31-Jan-12 16:26:23

Hi there -

We have picture rail, and I know you can get picture rail hooks.... but what do you use for the "string"? Also, do you hang them at that height or do you let them dangle - in which case you can surely see what they're hanging from...?

Apologies if this is a very obvious/dull question! I seriously don't know, though!

RockChick1984 Tue 31-Jan-12 16:28:29

I thought a picture rail was just so you could see that the picture was level blush I'm sure someone who knows better will be along soon...

cleas Tue 31-Jan-12 16:29:00

Hi
Traditionally you'd use some picture wire and hang it on a picture hook that rests on the rail. You do see the wire and the hook but they can look nice especially in a brass finish in a period house.
Hope this helps smile

CMOTDibbler Tue 31-Jan-12 16:30:07

You use chain, and then you can see it. My parents hang pictures from their rail

PigletJohn Tue 31-Jan-12 16:51:58

you can usually get picture wire in a silvery or a brass-plate finish.

Once the silvery one has tarnished or got dirty, it is difficult to notice against a light coloured wall.

You can paint the wires if you have nothing better to do but IME this makes them more noticable.

If your house is less than 40 years old, check that picture hooks actually fit the rail. In some modern houses a dado rail is used for appearance sake which does not have the correct profile for hooks to fit and grip.

MrsPlugThePlumber Tue 31-Jan-12 17:34:24

Thank you! House is elderly, so hopefully hooks should fit. Will investigate wire, thanks!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 31-Jan-12 17:37:32

Be careful unravelling the wire from the spool as it can get kinky (so to speak) and, although I assumed the weight of the picture would pull it straight, it never does and it irritates me even now.

MrsPlugThePlumber Tue 31-Jan-12 17:44:10

How thick is the wire, then? Do I use one hook per picture and have a triangle shape at the top?

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 31-Jan-12 17:51:46

It's quite thick [can't think of reliable way to measure it] but thinner than, say, string.

You need to fix two little d rings or eyes to the back of the picture, about a quarter of the way down, and then those rings/eyes and the picture hook do form a triangle. If it's a huge picture in a heavy frame then lightweight chain, as Cmot mentions, might be better.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 31-Jan-12 17:55:29

>Do I use one hook per picture and have a triangle shape at the top?

yes, that's how we always used to do it (parents had victorian house with rails)

MrsPlugThePlumber Tue 31-Jan-12 17:56:11

Thank you thank you thank you for all the instruction!!!!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Tue 31-Jan-12 20:03:15

You're welcome. Can we ask you for plumbing advice in return? wink

Mandy2003 Wed 01-Feb-12 14:33:59

This is the sort of hook you will need.

MrsPlugThePlumber Wed 01-Feb-12 16:56:28

Oh, aye! I know everything about plummage plumbering... just a bit rubbish with turn-of-the-century décor wink

Really appreciate the info, I'm not sure who else I'd ask!

startail Wed 01-Feb-12 17:07:28

I'm sure my Grandma's had black hooks and matching black chain. Which looked right with heavy mirrors and old wood frames and Victorian furniture.

Brass or silver wire would probably be better if you have lighter modern furniture or smaller pictures.

BerylStreep Thu 02-Feb-12 21:42:35

We always just use picture string - a white polyester affair. Its much easier to adjust for height. You can buy it in all the diy stores - very often in those little prepack bags.

I always aim to have the top of the picture about 6 inches below the rail.

Using hooks is brilliant - easy to move and adjust pictures, without knocking big holes in your walls.

Ipsy Fri 25-Dec-15 13:30:54

I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone is looking at it for reference, I'll just add:

The height you hang the picture at is whatever height looks aesthetically pleasing, you can't give a depth below rail as rails are positioned at different heights.
In relation to the kinks not coming out of the wire, it would be because the wrong gauge (thickness) of wire was used. Picture wire comes in several gauges, so if the weight of the picture doesn't pull the kinks out, try a thinner gauge wire.

ATB

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now