Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got IKEA PAX wardrobes??

(23 Posts)
ladywithnomanors Sat 07-Jan-12 12:51:04

What are they like?
Are they decent quality?
I'm looking to get my DD's a wardrobe for their room but only have around £200 to spend.

PuraVida Sat 07-Jan-12 12:56:20

I have. They're bloody brilliant and dead easy to build

ladywithnomanors Sat 07-Jan-12 13:02:26

Oh good! It's a lot of money for us to spend you see and I didn't want to get them and them be crap iykwim.

SilentSinger Sat 07-Jan-12 13:03:06

I've got these and they are fab. DP put them together with only a little bit of help from me.

PuraVida Sat 07-Jan-12 13:12:11

It's great they're so customisable. You can buy new innards as your needs change. Ours are very sturdy, although luckily the alcove they're in is the same width so they're more like fitted ones than freestanding iyswim

We made ours 2 days before I gave birth, was so easy we didn't even squabble and fall out like we usually do when diying

CoffeeBucks Sat 07-Jan-12 15:02:30

We have them and they are great - look really smart & have plenty of room for stuff. And you can add to them as and when you need.

mousyMouse Sat 07-Jan-12 15:10:28

I used to have them. very roomy, easy to build and variable. you can choose different doors i.e mirror doors or different wood styles and all sorts of different shelves/hangers for inside.

ladywithnomanors Sat 07-Jan-12 15:12:17

Is it just the 'shell' you get? I mean is there a hanging rail? all the pics are with the doors closed. Also it says knobs and handles to be bought seperately. I'm doing all this online as the nearest store is miles away so it's hard to see exactly what you get. What kind of things can you 'add on'. It's about as clear as mud on the website.

mousyMouse Sat 07-Jan-12 15:15:29

it is modular, so you get the shell (without doors) and pick and choose what kind of doors and shelves you want or need.

SaraBellumHertz Sat 07-Jan-12 15:16:06

I have some in my spare room - regular doors not sliding and whilst I love the interior (6 doors worth of lovely customized hanging space/racks/baskets and drawers 💗 ) the doors are a bit flimsy.

They were middle of the range price wise and there are more solid options but I went for style over substance blush

SaraBellumHertz Sat 07-Jan-12 15:19:20

I've just noticed your budget - I am not sure £200 will be sufficient (ours were a lot more but I am overseas and ikea is more expensive than Uk)

As an alternative the Hemnes range is good and although doesn't offer the space that pax does it is equally durable and solid.

Growlithe Sat 07-Jan-12 15:23:59

We had them in our room, then when we got fitted wardrobes we moved them into my DDs room. We just changed the innards round a bit (got a couple more shelves costing less than £20 and took about 10 minutes to refit) and she thinks they are fantastic! The only problem was moving them, they are HUGE and DH and FIL nearly got stuck forever at the top of the stairsgrin

miserablemum Sat 07-Jan-12 17:23:49

I looked at them for my boys, and with rail, shelves and drawers i think it came to nearer £300 if i remeber rightly. But i might be looking at a bigger size than you, different doors etc

Am waiting to save some more money for them. They looked fab in the store, and still a good price for decent wardrobes.

PuraVida Sat 07-Jan-12 17:30:34

There's an online planner thing where you can try different layouts with rails and baskets etc

Rails are just a couple of quid

You do have to buy knobs and drill the holes for them too

Fizzylemonade Sat 07-Jan-12 20:07:20

I have literally put about 20 of these buggers together, love them.

Have had the original ones for 12 years, collapsed them down 3 times for house moves, reassembled blindfolded easily. Sturdy, strong and put up with a lot of abuse. The doors are nexus so solid and not at all flimsy.

You buy the frame, the doors, handles, hinges all separate and then fill it with whatever interior fittings you need.

My sons have 2 single wardrobes each, they are held together with the connecting bolts that come with them so that it looks like a double wardrobe. Over the years I have changed the interior fittings in theirs lots as their clothes change.

So, mine are pretty much filled with the plastic tubs, you don't need the wooden drawers unless you aren't putting doors on as no-one sees them. You can adjust the spacing between the tubs so that you can over-fill them if you need to, in a single plastic tub I have a spare single duvet and pillow!

The beauty of the tubs is you can pull them all the way out so can get to stuff at the back really easily. When planning remember to take into consideration the position of the hinges you cannot put a tub right at the top as the door hinge is there, same with the middle. My sons do not have any chest of drawers as it all hides in the wardrobe.

We have hanging rails, tubs and shelves plus the fabric storage cubes that fit in the wardrobes. Try to go for these rather than 2 larger ones otherwise the temptation is to overfill them and they become heavy and we have snapped the fabric handle on one. I know that one says it is 34cm deep but ours are definitely deeper as the wardrobes are 60cm deep.

I also have a 4m run of these in the playroom, it hides the TV and wii (we have a 32 inch tv hidden in a PAX double wardrobe in the master bedroom) plus games, shoes and coats, hoover, ironing board etc. I really wish I worked for Ikea as I would have saved a fortune.

ladywithnomanors Sat 07-Jan-12 20:51:51

Thanks for all the replies smile. I've done the online planner thingy and I'm just within my budget. I've gone for a 3 door one with hanging rails and 2 shelves. Hopefully in a couple of months I wil be able to get the chest of drawers that fits in it and then add bits as and when. I have also got doors and handles. Do I need to get hinges or are they supplied?

mousyMouse Sat 07-Jan-12 21:02:02

the hinges come with the door afaik.

ladywithnomanors Sat 07-Jan-12 21:05:31

ok thanks smile. I'm so excited - very sad I know! but my girls have never had a wardrobe they have lived out of plastic crates.grin

TheDetective Sat 07-Jan-12 21:22:42

I have these - with the nexus sliding doors. Never rated them really, ours are in bits after 6 years. They were acceptable (just) for the first 2 years, before a house move meant they had to be taken apart. Now they are a state, bits falling off all the time, constantly having to make repairs to them. I paid £500 for mine, and refuse to get rid because £500 wardrobes should last longer than 2 years!

Mine are held up by the sodding next directory hmm

amazonianwoman Sun 08-Jan-12 00:04:27

We've had a triple one (tallest size) for 6.5 years with hanging space and pull-out baskets and they're very solid. And practical. No wobble at all, so pleasantly surprised!

Fizzylemonade Sun 08-Jan-12 12:43:27

When you order your wardrobes in store they order the hinges as part of your order.

The chest of drawers are expensive for what they are and in future you may want something else on the bottom, it is the one item you can't move up the frame.

There are inserts for both the deep drawers and the shallow drawers that allow you to keep items separate. Just a thought.

BartFantastic Mon 04-May-15 08:02:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

foxeymoxey Tue 08-Mar-16 09:23:16

Hi there, sorry to resurrect an old thread. I've got really high ceilings in my room so was thinking of getting my friend who is a carpenter to build the shell of the carcass and then fit with ikea drawers/shelves etc.

The COMPLEX drawer states the frame is 100cm wide

So if I was to build the frames then would they be 100cm from outside edge to outside edge, or inside edge to inside edge?

What is the thickness of the wood used by Ikea?

Thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now