Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning the grout inbetween bathroom tiles..

(43 Posts)
SpanglyGiraffe Thu 05-Jan-12 19:58:32

Sorry, it's a really boring one!
Ive used bleach & a toothbrush, and some grout cleaner, and it's not made a shred of difference. It's really awful & black.
Does anyone have any wonderful solutions as to how to get it white again?!

amazonianwoman Thu 05-Jan-12 20:04:48

Dettol mould cleaner

If that doesn't clean it, nothing will.

FortiesCromarty Thu 05-Jan-12 20:15:15

Grotbuster it's magic.

SpanglyGiraffe Thu 05-Jan-12 21:13:45

Thankyou, ill try them both!

Seona1973 Thu 05-Jan-12 21:27:38

I second dettol mould amd mildew remover

Seona1973 Thu 05-Jan-12 21:28:17

p.s. I didnt think grotbuster was as effective

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 05-Jan-12 21:39:45

Lakeland do a mould remover spray. I think it was called HG something. Was miraculous, all my orange and black mould just wiped away...

lipslave Thu 05-Jan-12 22:03:08

Hmm... I foolishly mosaic tiled my shower = flipping loads of grout to clean. At first I spent hours with a toothbrush and small quantities of bleach/bathroom cleaner and never had v good results.

My new and far more effective strategy is to open bathroom window and douse tiles liberally with bleach. I squirt all around and allow to run down. I then put rubber gloves on and wipe around a bit so grout all covered. I then leave for an hour and then rinse off. Result: grout whiter than tiles instead if the other way aound, for minimum effort.

I am willing to accept that it is probably not very environmentally friendly (but I don't do if all that often, and the other products mentioned on this thread are prob full of lots of nasty chemicals too). It does make your bathroom smell like the swimming baths - hence the open window - and I do it when my kids are not around. But it does work at getting rid of black marks and the orange tinge that generally makes the shower look a bit grubby.

HTH

bonzo77 Thu 05-Jan-12 22:11:06

yes yes to dettol mould and mildew remover. which is basically just watered down bleach. Make your own with a spray bottle, value thin bleach diluted 1 part to maybe 5 or so parts water and a spot of fairy liquid.

LadyDamerel Thu 05-Jan-12 22:19:13

The HG Mould & Mildew remover is even better than the Dettol, imo.

carrotsandcelery Thu 05-Jan-12 22:20:37

I agree that Dettol Mould and Mildew remover is amazing.

lisianthus Sat 07-Jan-12 15:14:57

Lakeland have a fabulous brush for grout too. It's magic.

brighthair Sat 07-Jan-12 18:46:47

I do the same as lipslave. Teeny tiny mosaic tiles were not my brightest idea grin

dearprudence Sat 07-Jan-12 18:49:04

Get thee to Lakeland. Their mould remover is fabulous. It does leave your house smelling like the swimming baths, but it brings grout up like new.

TheSpreadingChestnutTree Sat 07-Jan-12 19:13:00

Am I the only one who loves the smell of the swimming baths and bleach?

Eclairwaldorf Sat 07-Jan-12 19:19:00

I use the dettol mould one but still have to use a toothbrush - am I ding something wrong? Live in a hardwater area though so notice lots more scum etc on tiles than say, at my parents where the water is softer. Maybe they clean more though blush

thestringcheesemassacre Sat 07-Jan-12 19:23:11

Grotbuster, it is indeed magic!

PavlovtheCat Sat 07-Jan-12 19:23:36

you can buy grout whitener. It is a white paint pen that goes over mould/yucky staining. I do ours every year and in between, I use grot buster once very few months.

PavlovtheCat Sat 07-Jan-12 19:24:41

grout pen

BikingViking Sat 07-Jan-12 19:25:06

I love the smell of swimming pools and bleach too blush

Glad I spotted this thread, will try the hardcore bleach approach as opposed to the heavily watered down bleach and toothbrush one.

Now I just need to find a hardcore limescale remover (with minimal effort) as we also live in a hard water area.

cornishpasty Sat 07-Jan-12 19:28:25

Detail spray is amazing for this.
Give the area a quick wipe with a wet cloth. Then spray with dettol mould cleaner and leave it for about 10 minutes. When you come back most if the black should be gone.

SearchSquad Sat 07-Jan-12 19:30:58

Dettol Mould and Mildew remover spray works when everything else fails.

WhatsWrongWithYule Sat 07-Jan-12 19:34:09

I use the HG one as well - you don't even have to scrub it, just rinse off. Homebase sell it. I also have the Lakeland grout brush, which is good, but hardly ever use it, as tends to be the pattern with me and cleaning materials!

SpanglyGiraffe Sun 08-Jan-12 22:50:05

Chestnut tree I love the smell too!

Thankyou for all the ideas. I'm
I'm getting all excited now about trying these products & having gleaming bathrooms! blush grin

sarahken Sun 08-Jan-12 23:36:00

Best thing I have found is mixing bicarbonate soda with water to form a paste (quite slushy, not too watery). Apply with a toothbrush, leave for 20 mins then wipe off with a dry towel, hoover any excess, then clean the residue off with window cleaner to shine. Cheap and no nasty chemicals

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now