Talk

Advanced search

Can I use a cast iron griddle pan on a ceramic (?) hob?

(11 Posts)
wellwisher Wed 04-Jan-12 16:55:48

Help please! I bought a lovely old cast iron griddle pan like this one at a car boot sale but now I'm scared to use it because I have a hob like this one and I'm scared that something bad will happen - have a vague idea that not all pans are suitable for all types of hob.

Anyone know? confused

oreocrumbs Wed 04-Jan-12 19:04:21

Is it enameled on the outside of the pan?

oreocrumbs Wed 04-Jan-12 19:06:37

Denby site
If it is enameled on the outside like the denby one in your picture you can use it on ceramic hobs according to the denby website! smile

PigletJohn Wed 04-Jan-12 19:53:32

might it scratch the surface of the hob? I have an idea you are meant to have pans with very flat bases to get good contact (but have not had a ceramic hob for a while)

wellwisher Fri 06-Jan-12 10:02:55

Thanks! It's not enamelled on the outside (it isn't actually Denby), it's a heavy, old-fashioned, cast ironn black griddle pan.

I reckon if the only risk is scratching I'll just use it carefully and not scrape it around...

valiumredhead Fri 06-Jan-12 10:24:30

NO!!! Don't do it, I remember the instruction leaflet that came with my cooker and it said not to. My grandparents did and totally ruined their hob. Just buy a thick based Stellar pan or similar.

haggisaggis Fri 06-Jan-12 10:33:45

It'll be fine. WE have a heavy Tefal cast iron griddle pan and use it all the time on our ceramic hob

misspentangle Thu 12-Jan-12 19:19:47

I use a cast iron griddle pan on my ceramic hob and haven't had any problems. Remember though if the handle is also cast iron it will get very, very hot. (That's nothing to do with the ceramic hob it just gets very hot and it's easy to forget and automatically reach out for the handle).

Wondergran1 Fri 10-Nov-17 20:03:29

I have an Original Wesh Bakestone which was my Mothers and her Mother's before.
Could anyone tell me if I could use it on an Electric Ceramic Hob please? I have been trying for ages to find out lol x

Pantah630 Sat 11-Nov-17 11:38:42

I have my GGM wonder, have a gas job though so can’t help with ceramic.

Pantah630 Sat 11-Nov-17 11:43:24

Hob, honestly autocorrect will drive me to distraction blush

OP according to —https://www.quora.com/Is-it-okay-to-use-a-cast-iron-skillet-on-a-glass-stove-top-or-will-the-skillet-scratch-the-glass— it should be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now