Talk

Advanced search

My house is tired and needs attention....

(31 Posts)
oksonowwhat Thu 29-Dec-11 00:09:05

I need advice and help here!!

I know it needs decorating and some new furniture although i really don't know where to start. Haven't got much money either but want to get started and make a difference to the house in 2012.

In my sitting room i have....how embarrasing....slightly yellow/orange mexican pine furniture i got from Conway Pine, it is brilliant quality but is it really a house hold embarrassment nowadays?? What shall i do? Bin it??

I also need advice with colour choices for walls and anywhere i can get reasonably priced but individual things for the house.

I am recently seperated so haven't loads of money but i'm planning this as a project for the coming year.

Any help would be gratefully receivedsmile

Parietal Thu 29-Dec-11 00:25:30

If you've time to invest and the furniture is a nice shape, paint can work wonders. Why not start by getting a couple of decor magazines and look for things you like. Plus the idea catalogue of course if your budget is tight.

civilfawlty Thu 29-Dec-11 00:30:22

Wood furniture can look amazing painted. Best to sand it down, paint it with matt emulsion and then put briwax over the top. It protects it and gives a lovely soft finish. It's the technique you'll see in the expensive furniture shops. Don't paint it all the same colour and choose a warm grey pallet for a very soft and up to date finish.

Paint the inside of your lampshades gold so the light glows wonderfully.

GypsyMoth Thu 29-Dec-11 00:32:53

Look at YouTube videos for painting/sanding/general tips

CaptainMartinCrieff Thu 29-Dec-11 07:17:10

Definitely paint the furniture... Use the money for nice accessories that can make all the difference, cushions, nice vase, rug etc...

AnotherMincepie Thu 29-Dec-11 08:37:08

Would it be worthwhile selling the Conway Pine furniture and buying something you prefer? What do similar things go for on eBay? Otherwise painting it sounds a great idea.

oksonowwhat Thu 29-Dec-11 22:52:20

Thank you for the suggestions.

The furniture is good quality so it makes sense to paint it. Do you need to do the inside of the pieces aswell? I'm abit scared of it ending up looking tatty!!

Will check out some youtube help ideas. How come you say don't paint them all the same colour?? You can see how i just don't have a clue can't you! I didn't realise soft grey was good right now either!!

BlackBobBorderBinLiner Sat 31-Dec-11 10:43:17

Good advice about different colour paint.

I've just got back from three days in MIL spare bedroom - she has indeed bought a tin of paint. What was a mish mash of charming bits of country cottage furniture have now been painted with great care and attention all the same colour. Looks like Father nicked a tin of paint from the dockyard - everything is battle ship grey. Painting one of the tables a different colour or shade would have broken it up a bit.

I like getting a big stack of interiors books out from the library and flicking though till I find something I like then working out why it works. Is it the symmetry, the messy country look, the lack of clutter, the dramatic curtains, etc

Racheybabez Sat 31-Dec-11 16:09:14

i wouldnt paint them personally i would sand them down and stain them with a darker wood colour
change the handles to a more up to date style smile

oksonowwhat Sat 31-Dec-11 20:06:55

Scared of painting them now i've had a think about it.....maybe i will just sand and stain....

Going to get a few books out like you suggested, thank you.

Dawndonna Sat 31-Dec-11 20:36:03

We had pine furniture. It is now a gorgeous cream with light oak stained tops. Looks really good.

oksonowwhat Sun 01-Jan-12 00:15:18

Dawn, how exactly did you do it??smile

Was it difficult??

Olbasoil Sun 01-Jan-12 09:15:26

Don't worry about painting / staining furniture. Start with the smallest piece, sand it, look at it, paint it, decided you hate it, sand it again then just start over until you get better at doing it and you like the look.

MercyDulbottle Sun 01-Jan-12 09:25:52

Is pine furniture not OK now? we've got a newish mexican pine bookcase that I like, an oldish pine dresser, and victorian pine chest of drawers, mixed in with pre-war junkshop stuff, dark wood proper posh antiques from DH's family, and some of that indonesian stuff that was all the rage about ten years ago when everyone had the same sheesham wood coffee table. also the odd melamine Ikea billy bookcase. Iv'e never worried too much about Do I Have The Wrong type of Wood. grin

Olbasoil Sun 01-Jan-12 09:51:36

It denpends on whether your sick of the sight of it I suppose!
In our house we have all types of wood, my Dad was great for making bookcases out at least 4 different types of wood. Mercy does your name come from the Jill books... that name rings a bell of some girl living with her Grandma and she shouts "Mercy Mercy" and Jill thought she was being attacked or something ...... am rambling now blush

Dawndonna Sun 01-Jan-12 10:33:40

No, it wasn't difficult. We sanded everything down, stained the tops, masked them off when dry and two coats of matt crown heritage paint. Everybody thought we'd bought new stuff. Took about a week to do four bookcases, a cupboard and a coffee table.

Dawndonna Sun 01-Jan-12 10:33:55

Oh, and another week for the welsh dresser.

oksonowwhat Sun 01-Jan-12 21:19:50

Mercy, i'm never really bothered about having what is supposedly the 'right' things, but like olbasoil said, i'm sick of it, totally!!!

Also it just looks sooooooo orange!grin

Ok, so theres no need to really stress then? I've always worried that once you start you're kind of stuck with it, but i can just sand down and start again if it looks rubbish?

I don't want to waste it as its good solid furniture and i won't be able to afford a replacement thats as good. I might start sussing out good paints/stains (anyone have any good advice?) and maybe start doing it in the spring when its got more of a chance of drying, outside maybe?

oksonowwhat Sun 01-Jan-12 21:20:47

Dawndonna, any chance you can post a pic or a link of similar??? I wouldn't be clever enough to do that but thought you might be!smile

Dawndonna Mon 02-Jan-12 11:41:24

They started looking a bit like this:http://www.theplasmacentre.com/furniture/living-room/bookcase-and-cabinets/dovedale-dd316-bookcase.html?cpgn=8&icid=I163-2919708-020N&gclid=COaW6L2gsa0CFYEhtAod7lDzGw
And now look more like this:http://www.cotswoldco.com/living-room-furniture/bookcases/wiltshire-tall-wide-bookcase/
(Hope this works)!

Dawndonna Mon 02-Jan-12 11:41:58

Bugger!
Try again!
www.theplasmacentre.com/furniture/living-room/bookcase-and-cabinets/dovedale-dd316-bookcase.html?cpgn=8&icid=I163-2919708-020N&gclid=COaW6L2gsa0CFYEhtAod7lDzGw
www.cotswoldco.com/living-room-furniture/bookcases/wiltshire-tall-wide-bookcase/

sarahfreck Mon 02-Jan-12 12:49:52

If your furniture has a polyurethane varnish (likely if it is quite modern) then you may find it is quite hard to sand it down enough to get back to the raw wood (necessary to stain wood a new colour) so I think painting is better. The key is to get a good surface for painting before you start. Rather than lots of boring sanding I use a wipe on multi-surface primer (from B & Q). It is highly volatile and single-handedly makes large holes in the ozone layer but so much easier than loads of sanding. (I reckon as I never fly abroad and don't use it very often it isn't that bad!!!)

For toughness I'd then put an oil-based paint on top - eggshell gives a nice soft sheen and a big DIY place can usually mix to whatever colour you like. You will probably need at least 2 coats. Two thin carefully applied coats are always much better than a thicker less careful coat. If you prefer you could use a soft sheen water based emulsion (flat matt is not very durable in my opinion unless you put clear varnish over) but even the soft-sheen won't be as durable as oil-based unless you varnish over the top. If you are uncertain about paint types just ask at your DIY place.

Then the other key thing in my opinion is to TAKE YOUR TIME! The most common reason I end up making a mess is that I'm trying to do it too quickly and/or I'm too tired.Plan when you are going to do each stage and allow longer than you think to do it!

Yes of course you can always sand and start over if you don't like it so it isn't such a big deal. I suggest starting with a smaller piece of furniture and seeing how it goes. It really isn't that hard as long as you are a careful painter and are willing to take your time over it!

oksonowwhat Mon 02-Jan-12 23:35:57

Oh that looks lovely Dawn, really goodsmile Thanks so much for the links!

Thanks so much for all the advice Sarah, you are soooo right about the time issue and rushing! Thats what i tend to do, i want to do things and want them to look nice but never allow enough timehmm I need to plan this as i can't afford to ruin the furniture and i'm sure i could make it look nice.

I really like the look of the pale cream/whiteish painted furniture. Would that look too much if i do three pieces the same?

oksonowwhat Mon 02-Jan-12 23:37:07

With that wipe on primer, does that mean you don't sand at all?

That sounds like a good idea as these pieces seem to have varnish or polish build up on the top...

mrsmplus3 Tue 03-Jan-12 00:49:28

To freshen up my house I de clutter regularly, clean curtains and get a carpet cleaner in twice a year, paint every few years and always treat myself to a £5 bunch of lillies or tulips every week as part of my food shopping budget.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: