Talk

Advanced search

Help cleaning a mattress which smells of wee

(10 Posts)
StNicksNackered Sat 17-Dec-11 09:03:29

ds2 is still not dry at night and dispite wearing a pull up at night, his mattress really stinks. In hindsight I should have used a plastic sheet on the bed but I thought the pull ups would be enough.

Any ideas on getting the wee smell out? Thanks.

MrsHankey Sat 17-Dec-11 09:11:23

I spray with a carpet/upholstery cleaner like 1001 then leave to dry.

Although wouldn't use if he has asthma as fumes might be a problem.

StNicksNackered Sat 17-Dec-11 09:15:30

Does it need scrubbing? No asthma and I have 1001 so I'll give it a try, thanks.

Moomoomie Sat 17-Dec-11 11:30:13

Zoflara disenfectant is also good.

valiumredhead Sat 17-Dec-11 13:51:44

Weak solution of Zoflora - great for wee and vomit smells.

oreocrumbs Sat 17-Dec-11 14:37:02

Do you have a steam cleaner or could you borrow one? We cleaned my friends DS's mattress with mine and alought the stain stayed there its taken the smell out.

Also good old fashioned bar of soap (that you get washed with), damp flannel and scrub for the stains. Then clean water and flannel to remove residue (leaves a nice smell too) smile

mousysantamouse Sat 17-Dec-11 14:45:23

when dc wet the bed at mil's I sprinkled bio powder all over and hoovered it off after it had dried.
no smell after.
that was fresh pee, though.

StNicksNackered Sat 17-Dec-11 15:16:31

Unfortunately this is dry now. Will pick up some Zoflora ad try that too and if all else fails will have to ask around to borrow a steam cleaner as I don't own one.

lborolass Sat 17-Dec-11 15:26:42

I've used Febreeze which will mask the smell but I'd be interested in any ways to actually clean a matress.

louisehelliker Mon 27-Jun-16 09:47:13

Yes please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now