Talk

Advanced search

if i bought an element could i fit it to my tumble dryer myself?

(7 Posts)
HeresTheScaryThingBooyhoo Mon 24-Oct-11 18:17:07

i was expecting a call from a repair man today to arrange a time (today) to come and fix my dryer. (it's only blowing cold air) he said on the phone on friday it was the element but didn't mention cost. anyway before i called him i called another company and they were going to charge £104 to replace the element. anyway, this guy didn't call today and i've been without it so long now i just want it fixed. is it possible to buy an element myself somewhere and then just fit it myself or does it have to be done by a qualified person? and is there anyway of knowing it's definitely the element in the first place?

sorry, that's rather alot of questions.

PotteringAlong Mon 24-Oct-11 18:19:07

I put a new element into my oven (got it off eBay) armed only with a you tube video! I say go for it as ling as you
A) completely shut off anything that could kill you
B) can afford to buy a new one if it all goes pear shaped!

HeresTheScaryThingBooyhoo Mon 24-Oct-11 18:25:03

oh dear, i definitely can't afford to buy a new one. might rope my dad in to help me (although the feminist in me is screaming no!)

PotteringAlong Mon 24-Oct-11 21:19:28

you tube instructions

Have a look and see what you think! I'd still be inclined to rope in your dad if he's in any way practical!

Snowballed Mon 24-Oct-11 21:25:37

I used this company to order an oven element & they have videos on their site about how to fit them. They were also really helpful on phone smile

http://www.ransomspares.co.uk/

They do tumble drier parts too. From experience I would say have a go yourself!

HeresTheScaryThingBooyhoo Mon 24-Oct-11 23:38:09

thank you both. yep definitely going to give my dad a ring, i'd rather have a working dryer than my stubborn pride! grin

timidviper Mon 24-Oct-11 23:40:01

DH replaced an element in our grill using youtube instructions (he is not particularly handy so they must be good!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now