Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Using vinegar to clean my washing machine

(13 Posts)
Biscuitsandtea Mon 24-Oct-11 16:40:32

Hi,

It has been recommended to me to use distilled malt vinegar (white vinegar) one a boil wash to get it all nice and clean.

Now, I was told to put the vinegar in the dispenser drawer too to get that all clean.

BUT (and here comes my question), when I pour vinegar into the 3 compartments in the dispenser drawer, it just runs out the back of the drawer....

How much shoul I put in? Should it run straight out? How can it clean the drawer if it doesn't stay in there?

Help.......

bessie26 Mon 24-Oct-11 19:21:05

Are you supposed to take the drawer out to clean it? That's what I usually do, although not with vinegar - I've just bought a spray thing of vinegar, but have so far only used it to clean the taps

Biscuitsandtea Mon 24-Oct-11 19:31:28

Well I can't work out how to get the drawer itself out, but I wanted to make sure it cleaned the hoses and pipes going from the drawer to he rest of the washing machine <knows nothing about the workings of a washing machine emoticon wink>

Everything says you should be able to get the drawer out but I can't work out how to do it sad

VirgoGrr Mon 24-Oct-11 19:38:25

Wouldn't have thought it makes much difference. The water rushes up to the drawer when the wash starts - to bring the detergent down into the drum. It will end up diluted and swooshing around the whole machine no matter where you put it.

Biscuitsandtea Mon 24-Oct-11 19:52:00

Ah great. I feel my education re washing machines must have been sadly lacking smile

Any tips on getting the darn drawer out then?

Seona1973 Mon 24-Oct-11 19:58:39

You have to pull ours out with a bit of force. Some have a catch and some you have to pull up before out. Do you have the manual or could you Google for it?

Seona1973 Mon 24-Oct-11 20:00:13

You can also use soda crystals in a hot wash to clean the machine

bibbitybobbitybloodyaxe Mon 24-Oct-11 20:03:12

I buy a lovely sachet of natural citric acid appliance cleaner from my local diy store for washing machine cleaning. It is a powder which you empty into the drum. I am a green and eco-friendly person but I do have my limits when it comes to cleaning things with vinegar - don't want my house to smell like a blardy chip shop, thanks.

Biscuitsandtea Mon 24-Oct-11 20:13:17

I looked all round for a nice Eco cleaner thing and couldn't find anything - any idea what that one is called?

bessie26 Mon 24-Oct-11 22:11:36

I have to jiggle my drawer around and use brute force to get it out. Then ages with the toothbrush to get all the manky bits out.

Someone told me on another thread you could use vinegar instead of fabric conditioner, I've only done one test wash with it, but it didn't make the clothes smell of vinegar!

Biscuitsandtea Tue 25-Oct-11 08:01:07

Might get DH to apply some brute force jiggling to the drawer. Maybe then he'll clean it too while he's at it??

bessie26 Tue 25-Oct-11 11:13:35

Hmmm... If I got my DH to get the drawer out it would end with me phoning the repair man to replace the broken drawer!

Biscuitsandtea Tue 25-Oct-11 13:56:55

grin bessie that might well be the case! Or maybe a new washer smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now