Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning before a viewing - what might I miss??

(9 Posts)
PogoBob Sat 22-Oct-11 20:30:06

House on the market and have a viewing on Monday morning. Whilst we generally keep the house clean and tidy I'm not overly house proud so can't claim to clean skirting boards etc.

What areas / things do I need to remember to clean - just noticed that the hand rail on the stairs is a total dust trap and suspect I've not registered several areas that someone a bit more house proud than me would notice

Thanks

echt Sat 22-Oct-11 20:56:14

Light swtiches and surrounding area. Magnet for fingermarks.

Don't know what your lavatory pan is like, but the bendy hump thing its sits on gets very dusty. Damp cloths only seem to move it round. Toilet paper will do the trick better.

Clean all taps until they sparkle. Dry washbasins with a hand towel - no watermarks anywhere.

I assume you'll remove any pet bowls and litter trays. And pets.

Mousey84 Sat 22-Oct-11 21:00:07

Get a friend in to inspect for you. Or MIL perhaps?

My dear grandpa would walk around peoples houses with hands behind his back "observing" and bluntly pointing out problems no one else could see. Thats the sort of thing you need!

Also, light fixtures tend to gather cobwebs.

Mousey84 Sat 22-Oct-11 21:01:10

meant to see could see before. He wasnt delusional!

Mousey84 Sat 22-Oct-11 21:05:28

actually - that didnt make sense either. I meant to say "bluntly pointing out problems no one else could see before. "

Shall put down wine and proof read all posts from now on

PogoBob Sat 22-Oct-11 21:23:29

Thanks both, will put those tips to good use.

MIL would be brilliant as her house is always spotlessly clean but she's to nice and worried about upsetting us to be properly critical, she's coming over tomorrow to babysit so will see if DH can convicne her to be honest wink

THink I may join you with the wine Mousey!!

Fresh01 Sun 23-Oct-11 20:06:57

When we were selling and had DD1 we used to park the car outside, load it up with the toddler push-along toys, baskets of toys, ironing basket etc from the living room area so it looked much clearer for viewings. Parked the car down the street then unloaded it all when the viewing was over. Saved overfilling cupboards so everything fell out if you opened the door : )

Icelollycraving Mon 24-Oct-11 21:12:49

Lightswitches tend to get fingerprinty. Make sure kitchen & bathroom are scrupulously clean,pay real attention to shower screen,taps & tiles. Bedrooms need to have fresh pressed bedlinen & smell fresh. No dirty laundry,no ironing or clothes horse. If you have loads of kids toys stick them in the car!
Vacuum & mop tiled floors not long before the appointment. Good luck!

Icelollycraving Mon 24-Oct-11 21:13:41

Oh,just seen it would have been this morning? Hope it went well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now