Talk

Advanced search

Please help - my cat keeps weeing on things!

(8 Posts)
VideoEtTaceo Sat 22-Oct-11 19:19:48

Hello,
I really hope someone can help me with this - I don't know what to do. My cat keeps weeing in the house - sometimes on beds, sometimes on the carpet. We think she had a UTI and the vet has given her antibiotics and said she is healthy but she seems used to doing it now. We use 1001 carpet spray to get rid of stains and can put bedding/mats in the washing machine, but I'm very worried that our house will start to smell if she keeps doing it. Does anyone know how to deodorise it? And is there anything to stop her doing it - Kim and Aggie briefly mention putting distilled white vinegar on but surely that will make it smell worse - should I dilute it?
Many thanks for any tips!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 24-Oct-11 10:38:23

Wash the area with a soloution of non bio washing powder and hot water, rinse and put bicarb over the area. Vacuum off when dry.

Keep the doors closed to rooms she does it in.

Make sure she has a litter tray, have you changed litters recently? mines not keen on crystals but likes fullers earth types and wood pelletts.

Pancakeflipper Mon 24-Oct-11 10:43:24

I saw the title and was going to suggest checking cat out for a UTI.

We had problems ( turned out to not be our cat but a bloody neighbours cat coming in and spraying everywhere..grrrrr) and I used to wash with biological washing powder and then in a spray squirty thing that you get a garden centres to make a mix of water with surgerical spirit and spray around the affected area. It did remove the smell.

You can get a calming spray to squirt of a defuser to supposedly stop cat being stressed.

Any clues to why this has started?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 24-Oct-11 10:47:07

If its a wool carpet Bio powder can damage it in theory, bio enzymes digest protein, wool is a protein. Ok for bedding though.

missboots Mon 24-Oct-11 10:47:17

Does she usually go outdoors? If so, check that her usual weeing spot is clear. I had the same problem with my cat and it turned out that DH had been weeding and pulling out plants, and piling it all up in a corner of the garden where the cat liked to do her business so she started weeing all over the house in some kind of protest! Stopped as soon as we cleared her corner again. Phew.

VideoEtTaceo Mon 24-Oct-11 11:23:55

Thank you so much for the advice! She usually goes outdoors but has occasionally done this before - mainly when she was a kitten. My dad has just put mesh over one of the flowerbeds but there are lots of spots left that she uses so that can't be the only reason. Apparently when cats have UTIs they can associate the pain of going to the loo with being outside and seek out soft places to wee - I think that's what she was doing. Hopefully now that she's had antibiotics the situation will improve - she's not done it for a few days. I will definitely look into a calming spray and use washing powder - fluffy cloud, when you say bicarb do you just mean the normal stuff used in baking? Thanks again everyone!

GohWee Mon 24-Oct-11 15:46:36

Get rid of it.

LineRunnerIsBuriedAlive Mon 24-Oct-11 16:31:17

OK, you're getting the cat treated at the vet for a UTI. Good. To keep the cat from reapeat UTIs - be careful what you feed her. Make sure it's a decent cat food and if dry food that it's formulated for 'digestive tract health'. And give plenty of water, constantly!

Try to locate stressors. Most feline UTIs are the result of stress. New cat in the neighbourhood? Dog barking? If she's nervous of going outside, she's going to need a litter tray. You could be right about the changes in 'her' space in the garden being a factor.

Finally, Feliway spray is excellent for deterring cats from favourite 'wee spots' in the house. It 'retrains' the cat in a stress-free way. You can also de-stress cats with products the vet will sell you, such as a milk-based supplement that is a natural calming agent.

You have masses of actual cleaning advice above, so won't repeat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now