Talk

Advanced search

Smelly hoover - any suggestions how to cure?

(9 Posts)
sybilfaulty Sat 22-Oct-11 10:21:03

Hi there

My hoover (a Miele Cat and Dog, although we don't have either) is making a terrible musty smell as I push it over the carpet. I have changed the bag and the filter, so it's not either of those and I can't see a blockage in the tube. It's still picking up so I'm guessing that it's not blocked. It's not a burning smell from the motor either.

Anyone know what it might be and how to cure it? It's quite old (5y) but given how expensive they are I'd expect it to last for ever!

Many thanks

CeliaFate Sat 22-Oct-11 10:50:46

Put some lemon essential oil in the bag - don't put it on tissue or cotton wool in case in gets stuck. Rub over everything you can see with a Flash lemon wipe, or a cloth dipped in biological washing powder solution. Also bicarb in the bag should get rid of the whiff.

oopslateagain Sat 22-Oct-11 11:38:41

Tip some bicarb on the floor and hoover it up. For a nice smell, I usually sprinkle a bit of baby powder on the carpet just before I hoover (only a tiny bit!).

BlowHole Sat 22-Oct-11 11:45:54

I hoover up a bit of washing powder when mine gets smelly, and that makes it smell better. They are bound to be a bit smelly though I think, all you can do is try and mask it.

fergoose Sat 22-Oct-11 12:37:07

I agree about the essential oils - I have used lavender before, few drops on the bag or on the filter.

sybilfaulty Sat 22-Oct-11 13:06:34

Brilliant tips, ladies, thank you so much. We have just had the builders in, so there is dust a go go to hoover so I will definitely have a go with the bicarb as I don't think we have any washing powder (just tablets) or essential oil within easy reach. I can get some though for a longer lasting freshness pong.

You are marvellous. Thanks. Enjoy the rest of your Saturday.

BertieBotts Sat 22-Oct-11 13:09:07

Tablets crumble very easily!

I use essential oil on a cotton wool ball - just post it into the cylinder thing when I empty it. I assume you would be able to do this with a bagged one, too. Tea Tree is the best as it's naturally anti-bacterial, but any nice scent would do. Although don't use peppermint as I did when I couldn't find anything else - it makes everyone's eyes water when we hoover now blush

sybilfaulty Sat 22-Oct-11 13:10:54

Doh, Bertie, you are a genius! I will crumble.

Sorry, drank my bodyweight in red wine last night to celebrate departure of builders and now am functioning rather slowly.

FoxyRoxy Mon 24-Oct-11 23:24:01

I once bought some lemon scented little balls in Sweden that you chucked on the floor then hoovered up. Not seen anything similar in the uk, I thought JML would have brought out something like it by now!

I'll try some essential oil instead!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now