Talk

Advanced search

Where do your older kids 'hang out' at home? Do I need a teenage 'den'?

(12 Posts)
Whippet Fri 21-Oct-11 14:21:48

DSs are 11 and 9. I don't mind them having friends over, but they do tend to 'take over' a bit, and I feel 'invaded' in terms of 'my space' and being able to get on with things I might do.

So over the last couple of days for example they've had friends over, and we've had:

- gameing in the 'family room' (where the games console/ big TV etc is)
- general hanging out/ iTunes/ YouTubing at the breakfast bar (where we tend to keep the laptops)
- animation in the Orangery (big table/ nice and light)
and general playing/hanging out in their bedrooms.

I feel I have nowhere left to go!

Some of our friends are talking about building teenage hangouts in the garage/garden/loft etc, but I'm not sure if this is a) necessary , or b) a good idea?

Do I just need to be a bit firmer and tell them to go elsewhere if I want to do something in a room they've invaded?
We're trying to keep laptops out of bedrooms, which I guess is part of the problem...

Where do you your kids tend to hang out with friends at home?

Wants3 Fri 21-Oct-11 14:37:47

We are lucky enough to have a loft room with tv, games console, drum kit, guitars etc. Both boys hang out up there esp when friends around. There is a couple of sofa beds up there too so no probes with sleep overs. Could you move a laptop through to the family room and encourage them to hang out in there when their friends come over?

Wants3 Fri 21-Oct-11 14:39:07

We are lucky enough to have a loft room with tv, games console, drum kit, guitars etc. Both boys hang out up there esp when friends around. There is a couple of sofa beds up there too so no probes with sleep overs. Could you move a laptop through to the family room and encourage them to hang out in there when their friends come over?

Wants3 Fri 21-Oct-11 14:39:49

Sorry iPad messing about!

cyb Fri 21-Oct-11 14:40:42

Their bedrooms. With a portable DVD player. Or a lap top with stipulation door must not be shut

ElaineReese Fri 21-Oct-11 14:42:14

Bedrooms.
Or the Orangery, obv. wink

cyb Fri 21-Oct-11 14:48:04

Damn! Forgot to ARF at 'Oangery'

You should be grateful you've got all that space and your boys want to have friends round grin

Why dont you go to YOUR room whne they come round

GetOrfMo1Land Fri 21-Oct-11 14:49:22

DP is thinking about dividing our large utility room into a teenage den for dd - she uses her bedroom at the moment but because she has a double bed there is not that much room, and as much as we love the marauding teens, they do tend to take over the sitting room.

Appuskidu Fri 21-Oct-11 14:53:12

Mine mainly do orchestra practice in the Orchard; gymnastics in the Gazebo; media in the meadow or Spanish down at the stables. Oh and obviously, billiards in the billiards room.

cyb Fri 21-Oct-11 15:04:52

LOL

Whippet Fri 21-Oct-11 17:10:48

Appuskidu - don't you find that the Gazebo gets frightfully cold for that in winter though?

OK, OK, I guessed the word 'Orangery' might titilate, even as I typed it.... it's DH's expression. I would call it the good-for-nothing-glass-room-at-the-back conservatory

Hmm - perhaps it's because our downstairs is rather open plan, it just seems that the DC's friends take over... sad

shesparkles Fri 21-Oct-11 17:13:32

We converted our garage into a 2nd living room a few years ago, thinking it'd be good for the kids-games consoles, tv, pc etc in there....however the now teenaged dd and her assorted pals live in her bedroom most of the time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now