Talk

Advanced search

Washing on synthetics vs cotton cycles

(6 Posts)
AngelDog Fri 21-Oct-11 09:43:06

What's the difference between washing on a synthetics setting vs a cottons one?

I've always washed everything on cottons but I'm wondering whether I should be using synthetics sometimes / all the time.

I notice the synthetics cycle is shorter, so washing everything as synthetics would save a bit of time / energy.

Any reason why it might not be such a good idea?

I usually do an extra spin after the load has finished so the difference in spin rate between the two cycles is irrelevant.

Trills Fri 21-Oct-11 09:45:56

I think cotton cycles are rougher, they swish and shake the clothes around more.

I use the synthetics cycle more because my clothes are not especially dirty and I think the clothes will wear (e.g. go bobbly) faster if they are treated more roughly.

AngelDog Fri 21-Oct-11 14:37:21

Thanks. smile

PurpleFrog Sat 22-Oct-11 20:48:25

Usually the synthetic washes take fewer things in the load. I was shocked when I read the manual for my last machine after using it for 5 years and discovered that the recommended load for the synthetic programmes was less than half that of the cotton programmes!

superego Sun 23-Oct-11 12:48:31

On my machine the cotton cycle is set to 60 and the synthetic to 40. Also the cotton cycle spins faster.

FreakoidOrganisoid Sun 23-Oct-11 12:51:43

I'm quite sweaty and find tops often still smell after being washed on a synthetics cycle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now