Talk

Advanced search

washing a bag with leather straps

(2 Posts)
FreeButtonBoo Thu 20-Oct-11 11:49:59

I have a lovely canvas holdall type bag with leather straps which I use as an extra bag for eg small amounts of groceries/my book/taking on a plane/bunging bits and bobs in. It was fairly expensive but I don't want to get suckered into dry cleaning it every few months (which is what the label recommends).

Has anyone machined washed a bag with leather straps? Was thinking a 30 mins gentle cycle and no spin. I am pretty blaise about such things normally but am wibbling a bit on this one as I do love this bag and would be v upset to ruin it.

Other alternative is in the sink, trying to avoid getting the straps wet, I suppose. Might be more sensible.

Thoughts?

Snorbs Thu 20-Oct-11 12:11:23

I wouldn't do it very often as it will damage the leather by leaching the oils out. You'd also want to be careful of the metal buckle possibly starting to corrode and marking the fabric.

If you do stick it in the washing machine make sure you use some leather food on the straps afterwards.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: