Talk

Advanced search

Pillows and puke (Sorry)

(9 Posts)
Yorky Thu 20-Oct-11 11:21:07

I thought the alliterative title might make the subject sound less grim than it is!

DS was sick last night, on his pillow and bedding.
Is there a way of washing pillows in the washing machine that doesn't make them go all lumpy and odd shaped? Or should I routinely be using waterproof pillow protectors under the pillow case? If so, which ones are any good - ie not sweaty or crinkly/noisy?

Thank you domestic goddesses for any pearls of wisdom smile

And he seems OK this morning, eating breakfast happily enough but maybe a bit more clingy than usual

mousyfledermaus Thu 20-Oct-11 11:27:19

I just put the pillows in the mashine on a wool cycle/delicate wash and put them in a dryer afterwards to fluff them up again (have hollow fibre pillows).
if your washing mashine drum is too small, I would take it to the laundrette, their dryers are also much bigger and faster.

FroOOOOOtshoOOOOOOts Thu 20-Oct-11 11:30:51

TBH I would chuck it and buy a new one. Sainsbury's sometimes do fairly cheap pillows. 2 for £10 or something like that.
I have never washed a pillow without it causing varying degrees of lumpiness!
i use the pillow protector covers on our pillows. (quilted pillow protectors from Argos I think they are!) It certainly helps if the DC's are sick, have nosebleeds etc,

BleughCowWonders Thu 20-Oct-11 11:44:07

Agree with the quilted protectors (but no use to you with already-spoiled pillows I'm afraid...) Not at all plastic-y and smoothes out the bumps very nicely.

depends on the pillow filling, but I think washing will work well. I've had plenty of goes! If it doesn't work so well, I relegate the pillow to underneath one, so that I have my favourite on top and the washed one adds bulk when I'm reading in bed.

Good luck.

gemma4d Thu 20-Oct-11 18:56:38

I washed dd1s pillow for same reason, it went v lumpy but I carefully cut open at 1 end so could put hand in and flatten. It might not wash again though, I suspect it would come to pieces now!

Conundrumish Sat 22-Oct-11 13:09:24

Pillows are quite cheap so I generally bin.

Yorky Sat 22-Oct-11 14:04:22

Thanks all, will put protectors on the shopping list for payday

The pillow survived the washing machine and is now the most bizarre shape, but as you said Bleugh, will do nicely as an underneath one. And I'm grateful it was an old flat as a fart one anyway

Definitely worth thinking about treating myself to some nice new ones and handing down the older, flatter ones to the DC - its better for their necks isn't it? grin

schroeder Sat 22-Oct-11 22:40:21

If you unpick the end seam you should be able to get the pillow back into shape (unless you've got fancy down pillows) Then you can sew it back up or if you are slack like me just use 'em anyway. grin

LineRunner Sun 23-Oct-11 16:21:44

If you wash them and they go lumpy and are un-flattenable, do what Bleugh suggest and use them for 'bolster' or wash them anyway and put them in a textiles recycling bank. Even if they end up stuffing a mattress somewhere in the world, they will not go to waste.

Personally every pillow I have ever washed goes lumpy. I assumed it was because I was buying 'cheap' at first, but I even wrecked my nice ones from Debenhams. So I shall be moving on to protectors, as discussed above!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now