Talk

Advanced search

Boring.....How do you restrict the smell of smelly fish?

(11 Posts)
Pacific Wed 19-Oct-11 17:55:21

DH loves smelly smoked fish, kippers, smoked haddock, the smellier the better. He cooks it in the microwave which seems to blast the smell all over the house.

Is there any way of cooking it to reduce the horrible stale smell lingering about the house?

I have tried shutting all the doors whilst he is cooking and putting on the extractor fan but it still smells.

I hate it, really hate it.

madwomanintheattic Wed 19-Oct-11 17:56:29

microwave half a lemon in a bowl of water afterwards.

madwomanintheattic Wed 19-Oct-11 17:57:18

(i know it doesn't stop the smell, just gets rid of it afterwards, but dh always does this with the lemon after fish and it seems to be fine here)

Pacific Wed 19-Oct-11 17:59:05

Will that stop the smell in the house? I will try it anyway.

I am thinking of making him cook his smelly fish outside and not allowing it in the house. [grumpy]

Coldcuppacoffee Wed 19-Oct-11 17:59:58

This is the trick I used to use when I smoked in the house and didn't want my parents to smell it! blush

Boil some water and vinegar in a pan. The vinegar seems to mask the smell but diffuse much fast.

Pacific Wed 19-Oct-11 18:02:00

Got both. Will go and try it now.

Pacific Wed 19-Oct-11 18:05:09

Got boiling vinegar on the hob. The house now smells like a chippy! [grumpier]

madwomanintheattic Wed 19-Oct-11 18:18:16

should've just microwaved the lemon <shrugs>

valiumredhead Thu 20-Oct-11 13:41:54

I don't boil the vinegar - I just put some in a cup next to the hob when I pan fry fish. Also lighting candles help and opening kitchen windows while cooking and for at least half an hour afterwards.

mawbroon Thu 20-Oct-11 22:10:54

Agree with madwomanintheattic. Microwave some lemon in water afterwards.

wicketkeeper Sat 22-Oct-11 19:54:48

Make sure the fish in the microwave is covered. As soon as any pans/dishes/utensils are finished with, put them into cold water. And the whole lemon/vinegar thing as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now