Talk

Advanced search

Outside loos

(20 Posts)
Bloodredrubyblue Tue 18-Oct-11 16:56:07

Does anyone still have an outside loo that is in use? Sounds like a strange question but we only have one loo and that is upstairs and no room to put one in downstairs.

It is a pain when we are in the garden to come in, take off wellies/shoes/boots and go upstairs just to have a pee and in the summer we practically live out there.

We do have room to put in a 'garden' loo but I have never heard of anyone actively installing an outdoors loo. hmm

ruddynorah Tue 18-Oct-11 17:00:03

My dad has one. It's sawdust in it I think. Wees only!

Bloodredrubyblue Tue 18-Oct-11 22:04:46

I mean a properly flushing loo with number twos allowed grin

mogs0 Tue 18-Oct-11 22:07:36

My friend has one in her garden that she and her family use regularly.

Tigresswoods Tue 18-Oct-11 22:10:59

We had one until 2 years ago. It was useful occasionally. When we got our kitchen done we scrapped it, knocked the wall down & hey presto more room.

I miss it sometimes but not enough to install one hmm

Yawner247 Tue 18-Oct-11 22:13:08

My aunt and uncle have one which is used every time people go round because it's closer to the sitting room and also novel as they are the only ones that have one still! I think it's quite quirky...they store a few deck hairs in there too and have a little storage unit for garden attire! Hehe!!

tigerandtabs Tue 18-Oct-11 22:14:14

Would be useful when you next have the plumbers in...... (ref recent thread on AIBU about, shock, horror, a WORKMAN doing a poo in the poster's loo...) tee hee

tigerandtabs Tue 18-Oct-11 22:15:13

Yawner247 deck hairs.... hmmmmmm

Bloodredrubyblue Tue 18-Oct-11 22:15:48

Yawner

Is their outside loo heated and if not how do they stop it freezing in winter?

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 18-Oct-11 22:16:09

If I had room and it wasn't too expensive, I would install one. Handy for summer, handy for children in the garden. Also if any of your family/relatives struggle with stairs then it is an alternative option.

Bunbaker Tue 18-Oct-11 22:19:45

tigerandtabs You beat me to it grin

roseum Tue 18-Oct-11 22:31:19

we have one (built with the 50s ex-council-house as part of the outside shed which also used to be used for storing coal etc.) - very useful when gardening/ lots of people visiting (or getting a new bathroom fitted and other loo out of action, as happened this summer!). Loo also has the outside tap in there for connecting up a hosepipe/ filling watering-cans.
The (very old) pipes to the tap did go in the cold snap last year. However, this was our own fault for forgetting to switch off the water (separate switch that isolates that section from rest of supply to house) and drain out all the water in the system downstream of the switch.
So - they are useful, just make sure you can isolate and turn off the water in cold winters and drain down the pipes. Or else make sure it is very well insulated (ours isn't in an insulated let alone heated room).

Yawner247 Tue 18-Oct-11 22:40:21

It's not heated and I can't say if asked them how they deal with a frosty winter but I could ask them!! Maybe it's a well insulated loo!!! grin they've never had trouble with it!

whomovedmychocolate Wed 19-Oct-11 06:52:21

We have a gardeners loo but it's technically indoors in one of the servant passages. <realises how odd that sounds blush>

Bloodredrubyblue Wed 19-Oct-11 10:19:16

I am quite tempted as it really is a trek from the garden to the upstairs bathroom, we have a little sheletered corner where it would tucked away and is not overlooked.

I could wee whilst admiring the roses and grow wisteria and sweet peas around the door as a natural 'air freshener'.

smile

Beamur Wed 19-Oct-11 10:22:59

My Mum has just had one taken out - her house is an old 2 up 2 down type and still had an outside loo (but does have one upstairs). My Gran on the other hand, only has a downstairs loo, it used to be outdoors but my Grandad built a sort of lean-to conservatory between the back door and the toilet so it is sort of indoors - bit chilly in winter though! grin Gran has a gross bucket arrangement indoors for night time emergencies - I still shudder at getting stuck in the bucket as a child...I didn't realise you needed to 'hover' rather than actually sit down and got firmly wedged in..

VivaLeBeaver Wed 19-Oct-11 10:30:38

We have one. Proper working, flushing loo. It gets used occasionally. We didn't install it, it would have been built when the house was over 100 years ago. I think it's the original loo as well.......well it's looks ancient.

GreenBlueRed Wed 19-Oct-11 10:42:39

I just wee in the garden, not overlooked here at all though! But we are thinking about creating a composting loo, housed in a nice building, to be used for us when we're in the garden, for parties, and for people staying who often camp or use a caravan. Our only other loo is upstairs and it's a pain to have any visitors traipsing upstairs so I have to make sure everywhere's tidy instead of just downstairs!

A composting loo has many advantages, no plumbing, so cheaper, easier and no frozen pipes, free compost (I think only for decorative plants not vegetables), eco credentials!, and you have much more flexibility over where it goes as soil pipes and sewage/cesspits don't matter.

I saw one at the weekend that was lovely, with nice ceramic loos, housed in a New-England style cabin, well-insulated, and it didn't smell at all except rather pleasantly of the sawdust used to sprinkle on top.

Bloodredrubyblue Wed 19-Oct-11 10:52:26

this one is really lovely - I can picture the sweetpeas

VivaLeBeaver Wed 19-Oct-11 11:04:42

I've been to a campsite with compost loos, they're in ordinary wooden sheds and were nice and clean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now