Talk

Advanced search

How do you get/stay motivated to get the housework done?

(17 Posts)
Lookatthatmess Tue 18-Oct-11 11:54:33

As the title says really!
I have also had health issues so I seem to lack motivation a lot. But sometimes I
just feel like I CBA.
I know I need a kick up the A***.
Any help or advice? How do I get going when I feel like I don't want to?
The Kitchen needs a good clean up (Loads of washing up).

PosiesOfPoison Tue 18-Oct-11 11:56:01

Switch off the PC does it for me, and the fear of my mother visiting!!

Go into the kitchen and just clean your sink.

Lookatthatmess Tue 18-Oct-11 12:08:31

The sink is full of washing up. <Slattern emoticon>blush

WitchesBrewIsMyFriend Tue 18-Oct-11 12:10:47

go on the Housekeeping part of MN and do the baby steps, set a timer for 5 minutes and get started.

If you break down what needs to be done into small chunks it is so much easier than looking at the whole house as a mammoth task.

anniemac Tue 18-Oct-11 12:14:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anniemac Tue 18-Oct-11 12:15:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lookatthatmess Tue 18-Oct-11 12:25:41

WitchesBrewIsMyFriend Where do you mean?
"Go on the Housekeeping part of Mumsnet and do the Baby steps"

Booooooyhoo Tue 18-Oct-11 16:59:33

exactly the same as posies.

computer off (in fact i find it far easier to start if i dont turn the laptop on at all)
radio on
start with the dishes, then counters then kitchen floor so you at least have on room cleared.

and work out a routine that suits your existing daily routine (work school run etc)
i have tried several over the past 2 years or so and i have finally found one that i stick too because it fits my daily routine and even if i miss a day or two, there isn't loads to catch up on.

wicketkeeper Tue 18-Oct-11 17:26:25

erm, since when do you need to be motivated?? It needs doing, just do it.

ChrissasMissis Tue 18-Oct-11 17:32:04

I set myself one key task for the day. I ask myself "What is the one thing I HAVE to do today?". If I can get that one thing done, I'm usually pretty pleased with myself. If it didn't take long and I can face another job, I'll find another one...plus, I play show tunes VERY loudly and sing along...

Booooooyhoo Tue 18-Oct-11 18:03:06

oh go away wicket. some people need motivation. you clearly dont. have a blue peter badge for being so fantastic.

Flubba Tue 18-Oct-11 18:18:26

really wicket?? REALLY?! hmm

OP I'm very unmotivated to tidy often, but I get to a stage when it's all too much for me and then I blitz. A mad 20 mins of sort, sort, sort, pile, pile, pile. And my most recent godsend is a bucket for the stairs so things get chucked in it during the day, and then it's taken up at bedtime and sorted out, emptied for the next day of mayhem.

Also I like the idea of pretending we're going to have visitors. The fear of being discovered to be a lazy slob is always good enough to at least get the downstairs tidy grin blush grin

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Tue 18-Oct-11 18:26:23

I don't know really, I'm not a naturally tidy person but I can't abide living in a mess. My home isn't spotless but it's clean and fairly presentable. I don't have to have a mad dash or panic if someone wants to pop round. But then I can't just sit on my bum if there are things to be done.
(Paperwork is a different matter entirely, that has a habit of being left until the very last possible minute!)
I have "everyday jobs" in my head that just have to be done - clearing the garden of dog mess, vacuuming downstairs, bleaching the loos, washing up and loading the dishwasher and putting a load of washing on if there is any. That takes about half an hour. That's not really that long!
I have spurts of activity, but if those base things aren't done I get a bit antsy and have to do them.

Booooooyhoo Tue 18-Oct-11 18:27:52

for wicket: "I have also had health issues so I seem to lack motivation a lot."

wahwahwah Tue 18-Oct-11 18:29:32

Step away from the mumsnet.

Lookatthatmess Tue 18-Oct-11 18:33:59

Thanks for all the replies. I have done some washing up and cooked the dinner.
Having a Coffee break now then I am going to try and do some more.

I know what you mean about visitors. I moved house about a year ago and before we got a buyer I used to HAVE to tidy for viewers. (the house was For Sale for two years on and off)
Since I have moved, I have let things slip, I suppose I got fed up with doing it for viewers!

Anyway I could pretend I am going to get a viewer or visitor I suppose, it would make me feel more like it had to be done.

inmysparetime Tue 18-Oct-11 18:37:30

Buy a box of very nice biscuits or chocolates and "reward" yourself for specific small goals e.g. Hoover the house, finish the washing up and clean the clear work surface.
Choccy/biccy breaks take less time than tea breaks so you can get more stuff donegrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now