Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Opening double glazing for cleaning - how?

(10 Posts)
WhollyGhost Mon 17-Oct-11 14:39:52

We bought a new house many a few months ago. I was shown how to open the open-out double glazing for cleaning, in some special way, so the whole of the opening panes of the window could slide forwards and easily be cleaned.

now that I finally get around to cleaning the outside of the windows blush I find that I have no idea how to open them for cleaning, and google has been no use in finding an answer

HarrietJones Mon 17-Oct-11 16:39:08

Do they open like doors? Ours have a clip on the arm at the top so you can slide them to the middle.

WhollyGhost Mon 17-Oct-11 17:48:56

They do open like doors, and I'm sure I was shown how to use some kind of clip on the arm

I just can't figure out where it is blush

Ponders Mon 17-Oct-11 17:51:10

ask a neighbour? (assuming you're on an estate?)

WhollyGhost Mon 17-Oct-11 18:03:05

sadly, it's not an estate

maybe I'll have to resort to admitting my stupidity to any and every caller until someone can help me figure it out

Ponders Tue 18-Oct-11 00:05:33

was the house built by a local firm? do you have any paperwork stashed away? I'm sure you should have been given guarantees about the windows (they usually come with 5/10 year ones), but even if you weren't the builders should know where the windows came from, so you could ask for repeat instructions...

WhollyGhost Tue 18-Oct-11 16:50:42

Thanks, it's an old house, and the original windows would have been replaced. There may indeed be guarantees somewhere in the paperwork... will dig through it...

Ponders Tue 18-Oct-11 21:00:51

oh - when you said new I thought you meant NEW (rather than new to you!)

good luck anyway

keep bumping, you never know, someone may recognise your description & have the answer smile

JemmaFox Wed 19-Oct-11 11:56:03

Hi WG. Are these replacement sash windows? If so, in the middle there should be a clip for opening and closing. On my windows, just at the front of this is a little extra clip which if you pull it, will allow you to tip the window outwards/inwards for cleaning.

WhollyGhost Sun 23-Oct-11 08:02:12

Wooo Hooo

just worked it out, there is a cunningly disguised clip as Jemma suggests, but instead of pulling, you push down hard, and they slide - they are open-out rather than sash, but I suppose the same principle applies!

Ponders blush and I usually take pride in my pedantry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now