Talk

Advanced search

Ironing after tumble drier...?

(14 Posts)
Makiko Sun 16-Oct-11 17:52:57

Message withdrawn

Earlybird Sun 16-Oct-11 17:58:41

Put things straight from washing machine into tumble drier. Take out of tumble drier after 10-15 minutes of 'hot air' (will take out most creases) and then shake out. Put everything on hangers and allow to air dry.

I do iron dd's school uniform shirts, and a few of my 100% cotton items. Everything else looks fine.

The only things that stay in the tumble drier until completely dry are towels - but even those are taken out immediately when dry. If allowed to stay in the drier until you get 'round to folding, they'll look impossibly wrinkled (but, I'm sure you know that).

CalamityKate Sun 16-Oct-11 18:06:04

Don't wait for stuff to get absolutely bone dry.

Take it out when it's still hot (I often burn myself on the metal bits on a jeans waistband) and fold it or hang it up.

I stopped ironing YEARS ago. Life really is too short.

Makiko Sun 16-Oct-11 18:07:22

Message withdrawn

Earlybird Sun 16-Oct-11 18:11:22

Don't know about the fabric conditioner.

One other thing though - make sure your tumble drier isn't absolutely crammed full. You need room for things to be able to spin 'round with air circulating a bit. Your drier may take a bit longer - I'm lucky to have one of those big American style driers that work quickly, so 10-15 minutes is sufficient.

Makiko Sun 16-Oct-11 18:15:23

Message withdrawn

cat64 Sun 16-Oct-11 18:17:52

Message withdrawn

cat64 Sun 16-Oct-11 18:18:16

Message withdrawn

ReelAroundTheFountain Sun 16-Oct-11 18:24:17

Definitely don't cram it full. My FIL (who repairs tumble driers/washing machines etc for a living) always says you have to be sure the clothes can really tumble (sounds obvious but there you go). So I split each load of washing into things that are 'seen' that I take straight out and hang up/fold, then I do a second load of drying of things that I can leave in there for days a bit longer like underwear and pyjamas.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Sun 16-Oct-11 18:27:30

Don't cram it - and I always take them out before the programme has finished (worrying now about the thermostat) and hang them or fold them.

CalamityKate Sun 16-Oct-11 22:19:52

Oooh yes - you mustn't cram it full! They need room to float about a bit.

I use fabric conditioner. It seems to help.

PoppyDoolally Tue 18-Oct-11 16:26:37

Add a dry towel to the load as that helps speed it up, then as suggested take out early and hang/fold.

higgle Tue 18-Oct-11 17:00:18

Or, if you like to hang things up to dry you can just tumble dry at the end. Wait until everything is nearly dry and then put a tiny lod in the tumble drier for 10 mins or so with a J cloth that has some fabric conditioner on it. This works really well with jeans and DS2's school trousers.

Makiko Tue 18-Oct-11 18:05:22

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now