Talk

Advanced search

silverfish

(4 Posts)
mumcha Fri 14-Oct-11 21:24:58

hi i have silverfish ,im constantly hoovering,mopping the floors spraying ant spray because i heard this works.Please does anybody know how to get rid of these pests they are driving me crazy to the point im thinking of moving house.

Mandy2003 Fri 14-Oct-11 21:57:45

Here you go

I knew they were related to damp in some way, I found the source of them in my parents' house to be in the airing cupboard.

PigletJohn Sat 15-Oct-11 00:14:14

Have you used a "crawling insect spray?"

these are the ones like Dethlac that leave a film on hard surfaces when they dry, that soaks in through the insects' feet when they walk on it (true)

They are sometimes sold as ant sprays. I see the preferred chemical for silverfish is Cypermethrin (the ingredients will be on the package, in small print). I think I got my last lot in own-brand white packs in Wilkinsons. I will confess that for pest control I prefer chemicals to old wives tales natural remedies.

It is important to apply them on hard, non-absorbent surfaces after cleaning. They will be washed off if you wet-mop or scrub the floor, but will stand up to vacuuming or light sweeping. I use them under and behind kitchen cabinets and drawers. You have to re-apply after wet wiping, washing or wet-mopping.

And of course remove food sources (including pet bowls and food spillages) thoroughly.

I didn't know silverfish like damp, this might be why you see them in bathrooms and airing cupboards which are warm and sometimes have slight leaks.

tigercametotea Sat 15-Oct-11 00:21:56

Oh that's interesting! Now I know why I always see them in my bathroom late at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now