Talk

Advanced search

Those of you SANS window cleaner, how do you clean your upstairs sash windows

(15 Posts)
cyb Fri 14-Oct-11 15:00:27

Have you all got those telescopic pole thingies?

WentworthMillerMad Sat 15-Oct-11 09:22:10

Watching this with interest! I can do all downstairs but not up!

mynameischarlesthesecond Sat 15-Oct-11 09:22:58

i don't

cyb Sat 15-Oct-11 09:50:23

COME ON YOU SLATTERNS

AgentProvocateur Sat 15-Oct-11 10:36:19

When I had sash windows (very old ones, in a tenement) you could unscrew the side baton and swing the window into the room for the bottom pane, then move the top pane right down and lean over. Not sure if you can do this with newer ones.

CuttlefishDramas Sat 15-Oct-11 10:53:41

A Window Wizard?

babycham42 Sat 15-Oct-11 10:54:50

Put voiles up so you can't see the dirt.

nickelbabe Sat 15-Oct-11 10:55:11

I used to use a normal cloth for as far as i could reach (pull the bottom one up and then the top one down), and then what I couldn't reach with a cloth, I would put a cloth on the end of a pole (like a mop, i suppose, but it was usually bamboo cane), and wipe inbetween where they join.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 15-Oct-11 10:57:27

Well I don't have a window cleaner, nor sash windows.
But I don't clean them either (upstairs or downstairs).
About once a year I think - those windows could do with cleaning.
And about every two or three years I might clean the downstairs ones (or more likely I do the conservatory and then don't bother with the rest).

Ah shit, this is Good Housekeeping again isn't it - I should be banned from making an arse of myself on this topic

TastyMuffins Sat 15-Oct-11 11:03:24

I open up the bottom bit, stick myself out the window, sitting on window sill with legs inside, do all of the outer window bit and the bits I can reach safely on the inner bit, then climb in and reach down from the top for the parts I couldn't reach. So hard to describe it.

Then I wonder why I don't get the window cleaner round like everyone else, although I think he's a dodgy geezer and don't trust him.

cyb Sat 15-Oct-11 13:18:09

No we cant swing our windows, they are brand shiney new. But not so much of the shiney, hence the question

yes i think i will despatch h to sit on the window sill and dangle himself into a cleaning position

Thanks!

Rivenwithoutabingle Sat 15-Oct-11 13:19:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cyb Sat 15-Oct-11 13:21:13

But how do you see out Riven?

Rivenwithoutabingle Sat 15-Oct-11 13:30:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DandyDan Sun 16-Oct-11 14:50:28

We have sash windows at all windows where each frame can unclip at the top at left and right and can be lowered to a flat position on the windowsill inside the house. It is dead easy but it doesn't mean we clean them any more often.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now