Talk

Advanced search

Washing done but it doesn't all smell great. How can I make it smell nice?

(10 Posts)
BlackCatinaWitchesHatonaBroom Tue 11-Oct-11 19:39:06

Hi all, I done some washing the other day and I might of left it in the machine for a few hours before I got it out.(busy doing other things)
Any way just went to check if it was dry (on airer as I can't hang it outside at moment) and noticed that one item in particular really smelled musty(horrible).
So I am going to wash it again but just wondered if there was something I can add to the wash to make it smell better?
TIA

muslimah28 Tue 11-Oct-11 21:20:23

Ime let it dry properly before rewashing then wash as normal. Use fabric conditioner as well. Once I let a wash sit for a while and it went smelly and THREE attempts at rewashing wouldn't work. It was only when I dried them all then rewashed I got rid of the smell.

bibbitybobbityhat Tue 11-Oct-11 21:21:48

Use a biological washing powder.

tinkerbelleworkshop Wed 12-Oct-11 12:05:56

I use an essential oil instead of fabric conditioner as there soo bad for the environment. Tea tree oil in the fabric conditioner dispenser, leaves them smelling fresh and is anti bacterial :-)

Karbea Wed 12-Oct-11 14:29:06

Don't use fabric conditioner apart from being bad for the environment it makes clothes flamable.

takeonboard Wed 12-Oct-11 14:33:58

Drying outside is the only way to get your laundry smelling really fresh without using any products IME

BlackCatinaWitchesHatonaBroom Wed 12-Oct-11 14:49:13

I would like to dry outside but can't at the moment as neighbours are having work done on the outside of their house (Terraced house) so there is lots of dust/dirt about.

takeonboard Wed 12-Oct-11 15:01:01

you could try white vinegar soak before washing it gets rid of sweat smells from gym clothes so should work, followed by fabric conditioner.

PigletJohn Thu 13-Oct-11 14:04:54

washing machines can get a buildup of mould and bacteria inside. This is particularly common now that people use low-temperature washes, as it leaves a slime of undissolved soap and softener, that they live on.

What will help:
Take out the soap drawer and scrub it clean. Look into the slot where it goes, for old soap residue and black mildew. Scrub it off with kitchen spray cleaner and a nylon brush. In future throw your powder into the tub rather than using the drawer.

Do an occasional HOT HOT HOT wash with NO POWDER and some old cotton towels. if it foams up you will know it is dissolving the soap residue.

Clean the rubber seal round the door with household GP cleaner (Flash sort of thing) and rinse clean. Soap and bacteria like to live in the grooves.

Two less common causes are dirty water from the sink running down the waste pipe into the machine, and a fat buildup if you use a lot of bath oil, skin cream, or work in a chip shop. Also take out the pump filter and remove all the coins, hairgrips and rotting sockfluff (the instructions are in that booklet that hasn't been looked at since the machine was new)

BikeRunSki Thu 13-Oct-11 14:07:09

Use Asda Eco washing liquid. Smells all cinnamony and lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now