Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Recommend your vacuum and carpet cleaners please!

(17 Posts)
crazycatlady Mon 10-Oct-11 15:52:12

I am in urgent need of both a new vacuum cleaner and one of those carpet cleaner jobbies. With two small children and two cats our carpets take a battering.

Currently have a 5 year old Dyson which I love but it's dying. We don't have a carpet cleaner yet but I was thinking of a Bissell? Any good?

Any recommendations? Vacuum needs to be light-ish and good on cat hair. Not a Henry. Attachments for doing upholstery and curtains would be useful too. We have a mix of carpet and hard flooring.

many thanks smile

shell1234 Mon 10-Oct-11 16:32:54

i would recommend a Vax Mach 3 Allergy, mine is absolutely fab, great at picking up hairs and no loss of suction ( i ought to work for them eh?!), seriously the best vacuum i have ever had!

Sorry don't know about a carpet cleaner though,

shell1234 Mon 10-Oct-11 16:33:47

ps forgot to add, the vax is great on wood floors too !

crazycatlady Mon 10-Oct-11 20:01:53

thank you shell. I forgot about Vax. My parents had one of the first old school big orange carpet washers they did. Looked like an alien. Did a fab job!

shell1234 Mon 10-Oct-11 22:01:09

no problem,yeah they are brilliant, comes with loads of little attachments too, perfect for upholstery and curtains! bagless aswell so even better! what a raver i am!

crazycatlady Mon 10-Oct-11 22:13:23

I too get ridiculously excited about cleaning...

Inherited it from my grandma. She is totally obsessed with vacuum cleaners and buys a new one at least once a year despite being so old and frail she can't use it herself anymore and we do it for her!

weasle Tue 11-Oct-11 17:43:29

will watch with interest, I am thinking of buying a G tech floor sweeper as the dc drop so much food on the floor it needs cleaning daily. Anyone know if they are any good? Have a Henry but I don't think it's very good on the cat hair. And heavy.

Gotarty Tue 11-Oct-11 21:13:13

Mil has a Gtech, even though she has a cat regularly visit, she never uses her Miele Cat & Dog much anymore - looks very easy and convenient and I'm very tempted.

cerealqueen Wed 12-Oct-11 20:39:58

weasle, we have two g-tech cleaners, one for upstairs, one for downstairs and I'd be lost without them, I give the floors a once over most days and it reduces the need for a full on vacuum. One of the bedroom our carpets is a very badly chosen raspberry colour, looks lovely but shows up all the bits and the g-tech deals with it a treat.

smalltownshame Wed 12-Oct-11 20:44:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

crazycatlady Thu 13-Oct-11 20:22:05

I quite like the sound of one of these sweeper thingies. Especially if kids can be persuaded to use it!

smalltown yes I guess I could get it serviced. Hadn't thought of that! It is fairly battered with a few bits missing though, so might be worth replacing. It's one of the old style uprights and is fairly heavy. I think I quite fancy one of their Animal pull along style vacuums or perhaps one of the mini ones?

Beaverfeaver Sat 15-Oct-11 12:02:08

My Meile is fab and would not be without it. Have had it 6 years with no fault and still sucking strong.

My mums had hers for about 25 years

fragola Tue 18-Oct-11 10:24:23

Another vote for Meile here. They're just brilliant in every way. Which always gives them top marks too.

tower84 Tue 18-Oct-11 17:31:53

Watching with interest. We have a henry which is ok. I am however, looking for something light like a carpet sweeper to deal with day to day stuff. Plus some soret of carpet cleaner although I am edging towards a steam cleaner.

crazycatlady Tue 18-Oct-11 19:45:10

I like the look of the Miele cylinder vacuums. They have bags though. I am not sure I could go back to a vacuum with a bag in it after having used a Dyson for so long.

Any other bagless vacuums out there that are any good?

The cordless electric carpet sweepers look excellent. Definitely going to buy one.

And, I think, a Bissell carpet cleaner, unless anyone has a better recommendation?

Bloodredrubyblue Wed 19-Oct-11 13:13:13

Miele. Mine is still going strong after 15 years, I love it and all the attachments are stored within it unlike a Henry where they are separate.

Beaverfeaver Thu 20-Oct-11 18:48:22

Plus mieles have a 'blow' function which is useful when blowing up blow up beds in a very quick time. (not too sure if other brands also have this function though) I have only owned Dyson and mieles, and could not et on with Dyson at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now