Talk

Advanced search

Oven cleaning...an easier way?

(11 Posts)
peachybums Sun 09-Oct-11 20:50:19

When i moved in my oven was discusting, ive tried everything in the shop including oven pride but nothing seems to be working. I oven prided it again today and found it a faff and its still dirty. Is there an easier way or am i going to have to call in professionals?

Also i live in yorkshire how much will it be approx for a small oven leaning? Top oven is spotless, thbey must not have used it so this is fine TIA

I pay a bloke to come and do mine. It is £65 including hob and hood plus new hood filters.

BertieBotts Sun 09-Oct-11 20:54:04

I found some stuff in the 99p shop called Xanto (although most of the can is taken up with a list of large words like "Super! Activ! Foaming!") - it's an orange aerosol can. I found this did actually seem to dissolve a lot of the stuff so it did wipe off rather than needing scrubbing.

It is still dirty underneath the top layer after one clean and I think I will need more goes, but it seems better than anything I've tried before.

peachybums Sun 09-Oct-11 21:45:51

Ah so it might not be as much as its just a little oven, hobs fine and the hood. I have an oven cleaning bloke at the bottom of my street i might get him to come up and give me a quote. If i had my way id just get a new one but low on pennies at the mo sad

Yer i thought giving it another go after getting one layer off might do the trick but ive done it at least 4 times and its still got crap grime stuck to it. Makes me feel a bit odd living in a house that used to belong to people who could let their oven, that they eat things out of, get in such a state!!

Wouldnt mind but the only thing that was gleaming when we moved in was the loo...strange people, DP made it worse by suggesting maybe they shit relived themselves in the oven instead <boak>

prolificwillybreeder Sun 09-Oct-11 21:51:20

Baking Soda mixed with water to a thick paste. Spread. Leave for 20 minutes. Works for me <whispers: and it's cheap!>

Grumpla Sun 09-Oct-11 21:55:11

The only easy way to clean an oven is to get someone else to do it.

peachybums Sun 09-Oct-11 21:58:44

Funnily enough i did think baking soda today! I am a handmade soap maker so have buckets full for bathbombs, i just didnt think it would be strong enough for the oven of doom lol. Might try it before i call the oven man in smile

Ponders Sun 09-Oct-11 22:03:46

it's definitely worth getting a professional in - my own oven was disgusting blush & was literally like new again after he'd finished. Single oven, £45

Katisha Sun 09-Oct-11 22:19:15

Oh get a pro to come and do it. At least the first time and then you can try and keep on top of it after that.

prolificwillybreeder Sun 09-Oct-11 22:48:26

Give it a whirl! Good luck!

WynkenBlynkenandNod Mon 10-Oct-11 13:47:29

Oven Mate did the job on mine. Was something of a miracle, I feel quite evangelical about it actually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now