Talk

Advanced search

Stripping, sanding and waxing old church chairs - HELP!

(4 Posts)
nicecupofteaplease Sat 08-Oct-11 18:41:16

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, so hoping the Good Housekeeping ladies can help.

I have some old church chairs which have a sort of yellowy tinged what looks like varnish on them. I have a feeling stripping them is going to be harder than I thought and wondered if anyone had done something similar and could give me a few pointers. The best guide I have found suggests trying different types of remover to establish what the treatment on the chair is - lacquer, shellac or varnish. I'd rather not buy three different types of stripper, and was wondering if anyone could help. How are church chairs usually treated, and is there a simpler way of finding out what treatment mine have. I'd dumbly assumed it was just going to be varnish which I'd sand off. Hadn't bargained for pre-treatment to loosen the finish etc.

I hope someone can help!

ChrissasMissis Sat 08-Oct-11 19:36:44

The best thing I have found for stripping "finished" furniture is Nitromors. It will get virtually anything off. It is pretty strong stuff though, so you would be best working outside, or in a very well ventilated space.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_790109_langId_-1_categoryId_165495

Indaba Mon 10-Oct-11 22:33:51

It may be worth finding someone who can "dip" them for you then you can do all the fancy stuff once paint is all off.

I tried to do stuff myself once, but by the time I had paid for all the stuff to get the crap paint off, it would have been cheaper to get someone to do it.

Indaba Mon 10-Oct-11 22:35:33

should have said getting all the paint or varnish finishes off

the varnishes can be just a nightmare as paint

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now