Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

bathroom cleaning products

(18 Posts)
stofstg Sat 08-Oct-11 08:45:43

i hate cleaning the bathroom, like most people i guess, but i really really do hate doing it. If we could afford a cleaner to do it i would get one! What products do you use to clean your bathrooms?

floor?
Shower screen?
Toilet?
Tiles?
Bath/sink/shower tray?

Mij Sat 08-Oct-11 17:22:30

We hardly use any products as since being PG the first time I can't stand the chemical smells, but I have filthy kids and the eCloths just can't cope any more, so we use Method bath scrub - bloody brilliant (with the eCloths) and smells just fine. Also just switched to Method toilet cleaner as the Ecover one also turned my stomach. Everything else just gets a scrub down with (you've guessed it) an eCloth.

tranquilitygardens Sat 08-Oct-11 17:51:32

I won't let anyone use sold soap for a start, hand pumps create less problems with dirty sinks.

Gel toothpaste is also less of a problem than white chalky toothpaste, though I buy what is on special offer.

I clean sinks, bath, shower and shower door, with limescale remover to begin with, and either a cloth I wash in machine on a high temp or kitchen roll, I find viakal spray the best, I have tried others. Then I disinfect all but shower door, personally I like spray dettol for this.

For toilets, I use disposible wipes and flush them away.

For bathroom floors I use again a cloth I can wash in machine on a high temp or kitchen roll.

worklifeishell Sat 08-Oct-11 18:38:37

I just flash bleach everything. Mop head is put in the washing machine on a boil wash and the cheapo cloths I use for the toilet are thrown away

said Sat 08-Oct-11 18:43:51

For bath and sink, I use shampoo (an mn tip). It has been a revelation at how easy and effective it is.

worklifeishell Sat 08-Oct-11 18:45:00

any shampoo? Even cheap stuff? Does it leave a nice shine?

Jdore Sat 08-Oct-11 18:55:17

Floor ...... hoover then mopped with boiling water and disinfectant

Screen ..... method shower screen stuff , then every so often polish.

Toilet ..... disinfectant every day , bleach when necessary

Tiles ..... method tub and tile

bath
sink
tray ..... method tub and tile

I did buy some E cloths but apart from the polishing one I found them more trouble than they are worth.

said Sat 08-Oct-11 18:57:29

Yes, any shampoo would work, I think. I just happen to have a massive bottle of Tresemme.

stofstg Sat 08-Oct-11 20:45:22

shampoo....might try that after i have my bath later!

Miij - being a vegetarian i also like to think i'm eco and all that but i have tried some ecover products before and i didn't get on with them to be honest. I found they took a lot of stubbon effort to remove stains, soap scum, etc, and i noticed that there is no mention on any of the products of anti-bacterial qualities, something i do look for in cleaning products, especially toilet cleaners! Never heard of method toilet cleaner though....

poorbuthappy Sat 08-Oct-11 20:49:21

Need some info on shampoo as bathroom cleaner please. Usually I use a spray cleaner for everything. Do you dilute it in water in the sink and then wet the cloth and clean the bath? Or throw it on the bath and get up a good lather before rinsing??

lucytails Sat 08-Oct-11 20:59:03

oh dear i'm really not eco at all i'm afraid.

floor - domestos bleach in hot water with mop
shower screen - some sort of window cleaner
toilet - domestos bleach under the rim and flushable wipes for seat, cistern, etc
tiles - mr muscle bathroom cleaner
bath/sink/shower tray - mr muscle bathroom cleaner

i personally find regurlarly doing bits here and there during the week aswell as the big clean at the weekend is the best way of keeping it easy. Probably not what you wanted to hear if you hate cleaning but really it don't take long to have a quick wipe around the sink and a squirt of bleach down the loo after you brush your teeth.

Furball Sat 08-Oct-11 21:02:52

I use a blob of washing up liquid on my sink, bath and shower screen and they comes up great. no horrible smells, just a gleaming bathroom

and....it's blooming cheap

bibbitybobbityhat Sat 08-Oct-11 21:04:11

I have a shower curtain rather than a shower screen - so much less labour intensive to clean and replace.

Ordinary pine toilet cleaner in the loo, Astonish bathroom cleaner on the surfaces, Ajax powder on the taps and grouting.

I use economy kitchen towel (which is very thin) and Astonish cleaner to clean the seat of the toilet, rather than wipes, which are not truly flushable and will eventually clog your drains.

MayDayChild Sat 08-Oct-11 21:40:57

I'm an anal bathroom freak and fold all my towels hotel style

Good old fashioned jif cream works wonders on a tesco bathroom sponge all over everything and it's cheap too.
Then monthly soak with limelight and rinse.
Sadly I dry after showering. Seriously this is a revelation and you won't need to clean anywhere near as often.
Use a squeedgy Good grips one suckers on wall. Do walls and screen. Use a chamois (real or synthetic) and dry taps and corners.
Toilet is wiped down with dettol spray on handle etc. Use loo brush to push force water up u bend then put in the limescale domestos stuff and I scrub by hand and non scratch pan sponge things to get bowl gleaming.
Floor just do by hand after hoovering.

said Sat 08-Oct-11 21:47:10

i just put a blob of shampoo on the flannel once a month and rub over. Bit of pressure and then rinse off. Easy, smells nice and shines. Flannel goes in the wash

valiumredhead Sat 08-Oct-11 23:07:33

Same as furball! On the shower screen I use a Waitrose cleaner specifically to get rid of limescale build up.

Mij Sat 08-Oct-11 23:28:15

Bloody hell you lot are scary. Our bathroom must be filthy.

sprinkles77 Sat 08-Oct-11 23:38:45

limelite spray on shower screen, wipe, dry then glass cleaner.
Mirrors: glass cleaner.
Bath, sink and taps: what ever bathroom spray is on offer.
Toilet: harpic power and brush.
Floor: vac + mop with hot water and flash.
Cif for bath scum if really crusty
About once a week.
Dettol bleach spray on mildew and that pink soap scum in the grouting. Occasionally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now