Talk

Advanced search

Online weekly shop??

(26 Posts)
TickleBug Wed 05-Oct-11 21:46:33

Im considering doing my weekly shop on-line and having it delivered, due to the fact we dont have a car at the mo, and the delivery charge would be cheaper than a taxi. Thing is, I have no idea if its any good. I like to pick up things with a decent use by date-do you just get fobbed off with the shortest U B D? Do you always get everything you ordered or are things missed off?
Would be with Asda..... any feedback??

yeahyeahitsallmyfault Wed 05-Oct-11 22:03:56

never used Asda but for me online is the way forward. much easier. the store I use is much better at it now (2 years ago they seemed to mess up more). If i have any complaints I phone and they refund. worth the odd miss pick to save an hour of my life every week!

mirpuppet Thu 06-Oct-11 22:00:20

I love it; use Ocado and rarely get things close to sell by date. Although I order fruit & veg I also pick some up locally so I can choose it.

TickleBug Thu 06-Oct-11 22:34:45

i think i may pick up my fruit and veg myself aswell, bit picky with that! oh and eggs!

Ohforfoxsake Thu 06-Oct-11 22:57:58

I use Ocado and pay one fee per month (as many deliveries over £40 as you like). I've stopped buying meat and fish, and doing more shopping locally, but am sticking with them for everything else because they offer hour slots from 6am to 11pm. I'm also buying waitrose essentials instead of branded so working out a lot cheaper. I have tried all the deliveries but Ocado is the most convenient.

In an ideal world I'd do a monthly Asda shop for the branded and bulky goods, milk&more for milk and emergency bread (you can order online by 9pm for delivery early the next day) and all fruit, veg and meat locally. But usually just do a weekly 'instant shop' on the Ocado app and tweak it. It gets delivered by 8am so I can make the kids packed lunches. Life on the edge here. wink

Icelollycraving Fri 07-Oct-11 22:20:39

I also use ocado. I have used Sainsburys,they did send lots v close to sell by date & packed v badly. I tried tesco last week,crap!! So many offers did not come off price,bakery goods stale,packed v badly. Got my ocado shop today,the relief! smile
By the way,I'm v anal about my shopping. I love putting it away,my dh says I'm like sleeping with the enemy/Monica from friends!

cyb Fri 07-Oct-11 22:45:10

I've tried Asda and Sainsburs but they have ben knocked into a cocked hat by Ocado. it isnt any more expensive than Asda, they always have really convenient delivery slots (99p!!) and the drivers are super helpful

i can't imagine using anyone else, and I've got 2 hours back to myself every weekend

Trills Fri 07-Oct-11 22:48:56

Sainsburys are very good - I used them once, got 3 vouchers for free delivery, then was sent some vouchers for £12 off when I spent £60. (and it's a 1 hour delivery slot)

Asda delivery was no better and no worse than the stuff at my local Asda. Which unfortunately is a bit shit.

PattySimcox Sat 08-Oct-11 16:07:54

I have been having my groceries delivered for about ten years and have tried all of them.

IMO Asda and Tesco are the worst - food always deteriorates quicker than the others.

Sainsburys slightly better - delivery is free on tues / wed / thu if you spend over £100 - easily done in this house.

Waitrose and Ocado are the best by far - Ocado do one hour delivery slots which is very convenient but they don't mix and match the bogoff or 3 for 2 offers that Waitrose do - eg I don't want 3 punnets of grapes, but if I do it with Waitrose the offer includes oranges, mango, bananas, apples etc so is good value for money.

A lot of people recommend mysupermarket.com for price comparison - it does do it but usually shows the original supermarket that you have chosen as coming out cheaper as it suggests their offers - so people have gone on and compared their usual Asda shop and are up in arms that Ocado are £15 more expensive, but if you were to choose Ocado first you would probably find Asda more expensive.

KatharineClifton Sat 08-Oct-11 16:11:54

I've only used Tesco as it's the only one available in my area. It's always been very good.

susiedaisy Sat 08-Oct-11 16:16:11

Have shopped online with sainsburys for three years get on just fine with them tend to do three weeks online stocking up on discount stuff and heavy bulky items then on fourth week pop into local morrisons for just fridge food makes pushing trolley round alot easier that week

wonkylegs Sat 08-Oct-11 16:37:47

We've been shopping online with Tesco's and generally it's fine but it depends on the store it's being delivered from and what day of the week it is ( Tuesday I hardly have any substitutions and every things quite fresh - got this through trial and error tho) it's also a huge Tesco so usually has a good selection.... I prefer shopping in sainsbury's usually but the one the deliveries come from round here is dire and it never had ANYTHING so after a few dire deliveries I never got them out again. Ocado don't do round here otherwise I'd try them. I'm sick of Asda as I work right next to one and get my lunch from them most days.

Almostfifty Sat 08-Oct-11 16:39:10

I've only used Tesco in this area and have had no complaints whatsoever. I have heard horror stories from other people about all the local ones that deliver online, so I think it depends on the 'shopper' that does your shop really.

I do like the fact that I can waste yet another day without having to drive for miles to shop myself. smile

HouseOfBamboo Sat 08-Oct-11 16:43:38

www.mysupermarket.co.uk are good - not so much for price comparisons with other supermarkets, but they have a 'Review and Save' feature which is very good. It goes through your shopping trolley and suggests similar items which could be bought for less, eg another brand that's on offer, or one large packet instead of two smaller ones. Then it allows you to swop them with one click.

Prefer Tesco to Sainsburys purely because of the Price Match they do on substitutions. If they have to substitute something that's out of stock, they guarantee you won't pay more than you would have paid for the out of stock item. Quite often they substitute with something larger / better quality - hurrah.

RhinestoneCowgirl Sat 08-Oct-11 16:45:14

I don't have the car during the week (and don't want to spend weekends in the supermarket) so I do an online shop with Sainsbos once a week. I pick up fruit/veg locally as we've just got a really good greengrocers locally and I would rather give them my money as the produce is better and the price is comparable.

Sainsburys are a little hit and miss, but mainly good. Thinking of trying Ocado (my mum loves them...)

omnishambles Sat 08-Oct-11 16:47:23

I have tried them all and found Asda the worst - not very helpful for you I know. I like Ocado but find the website realy hard to navigate so use Tesco mostly and only get a sub once every 3-4 times. They can be late sometimes though so bear that in mind.

moogalicious Sat 08-Oct-11 16:49:05

Have used Asda for a year or so - I get free delivery using their credit card and because I spend way over £100 each time. I do find that sometimes the fresh stuff has only 1 day left on the use by date or is a bit manky, but when I call the customer service helpline they refund no questions asked. Not the best online delivery especially compared to Ocado, but by far the cheapest.

KatharineClifton Sat 08-Oct-11 17:37:12

Thanks for that info mogalicious! Just checked my Asda one and they have started delivering in my area so will try them out next time.

Meglet Sat 08-Oct-11 17:39:40

I've used Sainsburys for a couple of years and not had any problems. They have one hour delivery slots and I've only had a couple of them turn up late.

I tend to used them more in the winter months. So much nicer to order in PJ's and not have to dash about with the car after work.

And one Xmas they gave me champagne by mistake and let me keep it grin.

AnyoneButLulu Sat 08-Oct-11 17:44:04

Ocado are very good. Definitely worth finding one of their 15 pound off your first shop vouchers and trying them - I think Sainsburys also do money-off vouchers for trial shops.

TheOriginalFAB Sat 08-Oct-11 17:45:54

I tried Asda once, never again. Other people will say it was great so you will just have to try it and see if it is any good for you.

Wurg Sat 08-Oct-11 17:46:42

I use Tesco to stock up on tins & dry goods / washing powder / toiletries / freezer stuff etc and use the baker / greengrocer in my high street. Works well for me.

Tesco are fine, no complaints. I couldn't use Waitrose / Ocado as they can't beat Tesco for the Value ranges and I'm poor.

Dawndonna Sat 08-Oct-11 18:39:16

Waitrose and Ocado don't deliver here. sad

TickleBug Sun 09-Oct-11 20:07:24

Im going to try a Asda shop tomorow! Fingers crossed!! Hopefully it will work out ok! If not, i think i will try Ocado,(although, like you omnishambles i have had a nosey at the website and i dont find it quite as straight forward as the others!) or poss Tesco.
Thanks for your feedback!! smile

Fizzylemonade Mon 10-Oct-11 06:59:47

I used Tesco for years, never had any strange substitutions. Delivery guys even put lifted it out of the plastic crates and into my kitchen when I was pregnant.

You can specify best before dates, and the fruit and veg they picked was fantastic. It does depend on the store, I believe my items were picked as soon as they had stocked up their shelves meaning you got the pick of fresh stuff.

Could not fault it. The only reason we don't use them any more is because we mainly shop at Costco and only do a top up shop at the supermarket so I can't justify the delivery.

I have also used Asda, they were fab too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now