Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

my tumble dryer has stopped heating up.

(16 Posts)
booyhoo Wed 05-Oct-11 16:35:09

it is just blowing cold air around the clothes? is this likely to cost alot to fix?

BoffinMum Wed 05-Oct-11 19:48:40

Clean out all the filters, clean out the heat exchanger, and wipe the inside with a very dilute solution of vinegar and water. Then try it again and see what happens.

booyhoo Wed 05-Oct-11 20:02:40

ok thanks, will try that once i have dcs in bed.

nickschick Wed 05-Oct-11 20:05:27

What does the vinegar and water do?? <nosey>smile

BoffinMum Wed 05-Oct-11 20:37:30

descales the inside

BoffinMum Wed 05-Oct-11 20:38:28

Rinse it afterwards!

PeppaPigandGeorge Wed 05-Oct-11 20:42:51

Mine needed a new electrical bit (can't remember anything more technical than that). Cost £20 to get the man out and fit it. It lasted another year after that, then we were forced to replace.

nickschick Wed 05-Oct-11 23:21:02

ohh is that any particular strength or half n half?

TheOriginalNutcracker Wed 05-Oct-11 23:21:46

Mine does this when it is full of crap blush

BoffinMum Thu 06-Oct-11 09:57:48

I would say 25% vinegar and 75% water, then wipe twice with water only.
Heat exchanger cleanout is more important though.
Halve the amount of clothes you put in there as well, for the first experiment after cleaning it out.

midnightexpress Thu 06-Oct-11 10:01:07

My old one did that and I got it fixed very cheaply. The repair man told me that the thermostat can go if you regularly open the door before the programme is finished. Apparently the machine allows time for the machine to cool down slowly as it nears the end of the programme and if you keep interrupting this it can knacker the thermostat. Or something. Anyway, since i got my nice shiny new dryer I insist on always finishing the programme...

Fimblethimble Thu 06-Oct-11 10:04:52

try this, it worked for me!

smile

BoffinMum Thu 06-Oct-11 10:40:43

Ah yes, I did this on a Bosch once. Well remembered!

frenchfancy Fri 07-Oct-11 06:28:20

Tumble driers have a thermal cut out to stop them getting too hot and busting into flames. On some models this can be reset using a switch, usually to the rear of the machine.

More common these days is a once only thermal cutout, which means that the part will need to be replaced. It isn't expensive, I paid about 30€ including fitting.

Bear in mind though there must have been a reason why it got too hot, so clear out all filters and clean up any bits of fluff that have escaped the filter.

philmassive Fri 07-Oct-11 06:38:43

There is usually a reset button somewhere on the back. Give the filters a clean out and search for the button. Mine is red. grin

Gazza123 Thu 16-Mar-17 21:57:47

I have a swan condenser dryer and has stopped heating dryer working fine model is stcL407wB how can i check if it needs resetting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now