Talk

Advanced search

Is my sink ruined?

(20 Posts)
naturelover Wed 05-Oct-11 11:11:17

My cleaner used bleach on my stainless steel kitchen sink yesterday and it is brownish, dull and blotchy. Any idea how I can salvage this? It's a new kitchen, I will be devastated if my sink needs replacing.
Thanks

HettyAmaretti Wed 05-Oct-11 11:17:32

Oh hell. Are you sure it was bleach? I often used it on stainless steel and it comes up lovely - lightens it a bit and removes any stains.

Limescale remover on stainless steel OTOH produes the damage you describe.

I'd phone her to check it was bleach.

HettyAmaretti Wed 05-Oct-11 11:18:24

and, if she really has destroyed it then I'd ask her to replace it.

rubyrubyruby Wed 05-Oct-11 11:20:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rubyrubyruby Wed 05-Oct-11 11:20:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Deflatedballoonbelly Wed 05-Oct-11 11:21:36

Oh god! I would be gutted, Hope its not the case but tbh I dont think you will clean that up and no, Im a cleaner. bleach would NOT do that. Cilit bang?

HettyAmaretti Wed 05-Oct-11 11:21:47

But, ruby, stainless steel destroyed by bleach? It's just not possible IME.

naturelover Wed 05-Oct-11 11:26:01

On the bleach bottle it says do use undiluted on metal. I think that's what she did but I'll ask her.

HettyAmaretti Wed 05-Oct-11 11:27:03

Yes, but that's because of the dangerous gasses realeased when it's used on metal, not because it damages the metal.

HettyAmaretti Wed 05-Oct-11 11:29:06

I used to use undiluted bleach on my ss sink regularly, at lest once a week. No problems at all.

I bet she used something else. Or, do you have some sort of fancy bleach with some sort of added limescale remover or something?

Appuskidu Wed 05-Oct-11 11:30:07

On the bleach bottle it says do use undiluted on metal.

If it's ok to use undiluted-it'll be fine! If it was only ok to use diluted, you might have a problem.

HettyAmaretti Wed 05-Oct-11 11:32:28

No, the only danger with using undiluted bleach on stainless steel is inadvertantly gassing yourself...

naturelover Wed 05-Oct-11 11:33:32

Ok my typo, it says do NOT use undiluted on metal. I think she put it on the sink neat - there is a zig zag mark where something was squeezed and left. I'll talk to her.

Deflatedballoonbelly Wed 05-Oct-11 11:37:48

The zig zag would be a nozzle for bleach/loo cleaner.

Maybe she used loo cleaner instead of bleach?

Im so nosy, I really want to know what she put on it!

thejaffacakesareonme Wed 05-Oct-11 11:44:41

It sounds as though whatever it is has reacted with the ss. If you use a green scourer can you take off the top layer of the metal that has corroded? I'd be cautious about doing this though as the scourer may leave scratches on the sink if you scrub too hard.

naturelover Wed 05-Oct-11 14:06:48

She confirmed it was undiluted bleach.
I guess I'll try Barkeeper's Friend, and hope for the best.
Sigh.

brighthair Wed 05-Oct-11 16:15:33

How odd. Mine is stainless steel and when it has brown blotchy marks, bleach makes it all shiny again! Hope you get it sorted

Jins Wed 05-Oct-11 16:20:46

My new stainless steel sink came with a warning label saying not to use bleach as it can damage the surface and cause stains

If it's brushed stainless steel you can try brillo pads, bar keepers friend etc

If it's mirror finish you'll need chrome cleaner and a lot if work

Thebonkers Wed 05-Oct-11 16:22:30

try astonish paste - that gets anything off ime

GentleOtter Wed 05-Oct-11 16:27:12

Bleach ruined my taps although it was the limescale remover type bleach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now