Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for a mop(s) please!

(13 Posts)
AchtungBaby Wed 05-Oct-11 09:54:14

We currently have a Vileda SuperMop, which seems to be a bit rubbish, and leaves the kitchen floor very wet. So I'd really like one or more new mops.

The floors that we mop are:

Kitchen: stone tiles, very uneven.
Living room: laminate.
Bathroom: lino.

Is there one mop that would meet all of our needs, or do I need two? What are E-cloths? Is there some sort of washable solution for at least one of these floors? And what's a steam mop, and a partially dry mop (IIRC)? Also, what should I be using for all of this mopping? At the moment, I'm using Ecover general cleaner.

Sorry, I'm clearly clueless about mopping, and very confused.

maybunny Wed 05-Oct-11 21:35:46

I can't answer all of your questions, but I do have an e-cloth mop, which I ind great. We have real wood floors throughout the entire downstairs, and I didn't want an 'old fashioned' type mop as I was worried it would be too wet for the wood.
The e-cloth mop head attaches by Velcro - you just wet it, wring it, chuck it in the floor and attach the mop to it. It cleans with just water so no nasty chemicals. You can rinse out the cloth when you need to, and chuck it in the washing machine on a hot wash every now and then. Hth!

AchtungBaby Thu 06-Oct-11 08:41:00

Thanks maybunny, that's really useful. I forgot to say that our bedrooms have wooden floors, so it sounds like an E-cloth mop would be good for the living room and bedrooms.

AchtungBaby Thu 06-Oct-11 09:05:31

I just ordered an E-cloth Deep Clean Mop & Starter Pack smile - it comes with four General Purpose Cloths and one Glass & Polishing Cloth too. I love that you just use water with the mop and the cloths.

I think I still need another mop for the uneven stone tiles in the kitchen though - does anyone have any ideas?

anonymousbird Thu 06-Oct-11 09:15:19

You have so done the right thing! Easiest mop in the world. I have always hated washing the floors, however, I actually now sadly rather enjoy it as it is SO EASY with an E-mop.

Don't know about uneven floors, we used to have uneven stone floor and I had one of the crappy mops you mentioned and I hated it. Only recently since we refloored (all flat!) that I've discovered E-Mop so dont know if any use on an uneven floor or not....

AchtungBaby Thu 06-Oct-11 11:00:06

Oh good! I don't think that it will work in the kitchen, but I suppose it's worth a bash.

maybunny Thu 06-Oct-11 18:41:05

Prior to the e-cloth I would just buy those floor wipes and get down on my hands and knees with it - this might be an idea if your kitchen isn't too big maybe? Even if it is a large area it doesn't actually take that long really anyway.

MangoMonster Thu 06-Oct-11 18:47:45

Got a steam mop in the end as all the other ones I tried just moved the dirt around.

Mandy2003 Thu 06-Oct-11 20:03:06

I'm hacked off with my Vileda too! At work I use a traditional string mop and bucket and I can't fault it on any surface - York stone, oak boards, slate. You can wring it out suitable for whatever surface.

I used to use floor wipes when I had a vinyl floor at home, but now I have real wood laminate in the kitchen and they leave it very sticky. I always used floor wipes with foot btw, no hands & knees for me! I now use CIF wood floor cleaner.

toddlerama Fri 07-Oct-11 08:33:15

Jml whizz mop. It's amazing on every surface. The 'whizz' means it's never too wet and it comes with 2 machine washable heads of microfibre strings. I love it. Also, the handle unscrews into 3 parts do you can fit it under the sink.

AchtungBaby Sat 08-Oct-11 13:43:04

Guess, what my E-cloth Deep Clean Mop & Starter Pack arrived this am grin! I've already polished my kettle and my toaster. Now I just need to do somehting actually useful with my new kit...

I'm beginning to be tempted by a more traditional mop design for the kitchen. I've also bought a splash mat for under DS's highchair, so I plan to clean that with Dettol wipes every day.

valiumredhead Sat 08-Oct-11 15:29:14

My kitchen tiles are disgusting at the end of the day as we have doors out onto the garden and kids and dh are in an out all day every day and the E mop from Lakeland works better than anything else I have tried and have tried most of them!

tranquilitygardens Sat 08-Oct-11 16:27:05

I got a steam mop also and loved it, then the clothes would not stick anymore to it and I can't use it, and to be honnest, it is never top of my list to look up how to get more of the cloths with velcro for it. So I have reverted to pushing the dirt around with my old mop.

I really should find out about replacement cloths.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now