Talk

Advanced search

ants in my pants

(10 Posts)
yummybunny Tue 04-Oct-11 07:56:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

twotesttickles Tue 04-Oct-11 18:28:30

Ants ? hmm confused

What makes you think they are ants? They are more likely to be biscuit beetles or similar. In any case, fly spray will kill them but vac the drawer out and make sure no food is kept in there for a few weeks.

yummybunny Wed 05-Oct-11 07:20:26

whomovedmychocolate Wed 05-Oct-11 16:16:37

Do not leave the ants in the vac. The little buggers walk out again wink

Mandy2003 Thu 06-Oct-11 20:15:17

Are they a medium coppery brown and definitely ant-shaped? If so they are Pharaoh's Ants. Quite a public health problem in some areas. They spread within large buildings like blocks of flats. The council came to look at them and supplied special ant traps when I lived in an affected block. Speak to environmental health.

Sorry I can't remember who moved out first, the ants or us (I had PND...)

yummybunny Fri 07-Oct-11 11:48:01

tinkerbelleworkshop Wed 12-Oct-11 12:29:06

The devils! I hate ants, make me shudder! If you can find where they are comming from it would be a good idea to put some spice down. Nothing that stains, so not turmeric, but maybe chilli? or whatever you have.
The strong smell confuses them and they loose the trail. Even a herb from the garden like mint may work. Just bruise the mint and sprinkle it around the drawer and where they are comming from.
Worked a trick at last house

BertieBotts Wed 12-Oct-11 12:33:50

If you can find out where they are getting in, talcum powder is fine enough to block the hole. This is how I stopped our ant problem - there was no way I could get DS to stop dropping biscuit crumbs everywhere so they were going to keep coming.

And move the nuts and snacks! smile

(Never known ants to bite, though. Not black ants, anyway.)

PigletJohn Thu 13-Oct-11 14:11:23

You can get a spray insecticide for ants and other crawling insects. You put it on hard surfaces like floors and cupboards and it dries to a film that soaks in through their feet when they walk on it (true).

Dethlac was the original but there are plenty of others. Should be sold near household cleaners or garden chemicals.

Clean the surface well and allow it to dry first. If/when you wash or sponge the surface again you will have to reapply.

If you are sure they are ants, you can get Nippon liquid in a tiny tube like a toothpaste tube, you put a couple of drops on a metal coin near where they walk and they will take it back to the nest to share with their friends. It is far better than ant powder.

onwardandupwards Thu 13-Oct-11 15:33:10

cinnamon powder works well they dont seem to like it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now