Talk

Advanced search

wet washing trapped in machine - any way to stop it smelling?

(9 Posts)
Tangle Mon 03-Oct-11 21:15:14

Says it all really... Thought I'd make the most of the nice weather before winter arrives - 2 loads on the line, 3rd in the machine, door won't open. After trying all the tricks we've used before and called the service line the conclusion is that the door lock mechanism seems to have broken - even the manual over-ride isn't over-riding. The first available slot to get someone out is not till Thursday. Should I just give up now and write it all off or does anyone have any cunning plans that will stop the whole lot growing interesting new life-forms?

(Trying to stay flippant to avoid turning into a heap of tissues nearly as soggy as the washing...)

NorkyPies Mon 03-Oct-11 21:20:16

I would put Milton in if all whites, otherwise use disinfectant eg Dettol (a nice-smelling one of theirs)

BoffinMum Mon 03-Oct-11 21:34:56

Wash it once a day on a 40C wash until they come to repair it.
At own risk, consider unplugging machine and taking off lid and seeing if there's something logical you can wiggle to unlock door.

Tangle Mon 03-Oct-11 22:10:43

Thanks

Dark washing, and not sure I have any Dettol or similar in house. I do have a LOT of white vinegar, so might give that a try - I'm figuring if I do nothing then the whole lots going to be going in the bin so nothing ventured...

Its been quite scary trying to work out what went in and what the replacement value is.

Judging by the noises it makes when operating normally, the door lock is operated by a solenoid. Its now making extremely strange noises at the point when it should be unlocking. Might suggest a bit of DIY to DH and see what he suggests - I can cope with unblocking the drain, but suspect I'd do more harm than good if I tried much beyond that blush.

onepieceofcremeegg Mon 03-Oct-11 22:13:16

Have you had a really good look at the instruction manual? Mine gives instructions on how to over ride the door lock afaik. Good luck.

Otherwise do as previously suggested. Run a 40 wash every day - but make sure you are at home in case anything else goes wrong!

My friend did this and her wool blanket was fine in the end. smile

Perhaps another wash cycle might somehow untrigger the lock?

onepieceofcremeegg Mon 03-Oct-11 22:14:30

I would also (unless machine is still under guarantee) try and get another plumber/handyperson out before Thursday. I think that a door getting stuck isn't a rare problem so it should be able to be sorted fairly quickly. smile

ravenAK Mon 03-Oct-11 22:18:06

Run it through every day & add something strong but nice smelling like a citrussy essential oil (or even Carvol!) to the fabric conditioner tray - I do this as a precaution if I know a washload will be drying indoors & it does help!

oopslateagain Mon 03-Oct-11 22:23:23

I use bicarbonate of soda dissolved in water - it stops smells and if I've inadvertently left a load in overnight in warm weather I run it through a wash with a bit of detergent and some bicarb and it takes the smell right away. Safe for colours too. I use about 2 heaped Tbsp dissolved in 1/4 pint hot water.

Good luck!

Tangle Tue 04-Oct-11 10:05:03

Hurrah!

Had sodium bicarb in the cupboard so chucked a load of that in and ran the wash cycle again. And at the end it opened grin

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think we're going to be cautious, keep the appointment on Thursday and try not to use the machine in the meantime (in the past this service guy has given us a years warranty after coming to fix a problem, so we're hoping he'll do the same again).

I don't think I've ever been so happy to have wet jeans to dry on a cloudy, damp day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now