Talk

Advanced search

How to minimise mould?

(17 Posts)
PenguinArmy Sun 02-Oct-11 23:34:23

We've been here a month and already mould has been growing on the PVC windows, curtains etc. So what are the general tips to do what we reasonably can? We don't want to be shafted with regards the damage deposit at the end of the tenacy. Also growing quite rapidly on the ceiling in the DCs room.

Place has a very clean feel otherwise and was obviously well scrubbed before we saw it. Also we're not technically allowed to dry laundry outside (although sneak it onto the patio) but once winter is here I guess it will largely be done inside. It's a flat btw.

Honeydragon Sun 02-Oct-11 23:40:00

Is it all on the same part side of the building? It might need repointing?

pickledparsnip Sun 02-Oct-11 23:41:42

Bump. I've yet to find the secret to keeping mould at bay. I live seconds from the sea, so mould and damp love my house. Make sure it is well heated in the winter (will be hard with energy prices) and wipe mould down with bleach. I think a dehumidifier would be a good thing too, I've yet to get one.

yellowraincoat Sun 02-Oct-11 23:47:06

Blergh, we have the same problem, old Victorian house. There is mould stuff that you can paint on - clear stuff and proper paint. We use the clear stuff and it definitely helps. something like this Think it needs to be mould KILLER rather than REMOVER or it'll just grow back.

Dehumidifer? We have a small one (it's called a dehumidifying egg) that we use in the wardrobe. Seems to work.

Try to keep the windows and doors open as much as you can. It'll improve the ventilation.

PenguinArmy Sun 02-Oct-11 23:51:58

it is on one side (the side that gets no sun at all)

erm repointing? how would that work in a set of flats that have rules more concerned with appearances and keeping too nosy old neighbours happy rather than functionality

how often would you say to have windows open i.e. a rule of thumb for a minimum (they are rather awkward, with high handles and atm I have a bump that makes it even harder to reach). I figure we need to get in a habbit of opening and then not forgetting to close like I'm prone to doing

Heating is electric storage heaters and we are rather tight, (we've not had them on yet --or figured out how to--)

<goes to google dehumidifying egg>

PigletJohn Sun 02-Oct-11 23:52:19

if anybody is in the habit of draping wet washing around the house, or on radiators, it will always be damp.

Damp causes mould.

Apart from that (which is the main cause of damp and mould in the UK) the other common causes are failing to use an extractor fan during and after every bath and shower; and failing to open the windows (especially in bedrooms) to ventilate the damp air that people breathe out.

Far less common causes are leaking pipes and roofs, and boiling pans of water or soup vigorously with no lids and no kitchen extractor.

If you have plastic windows they are probably not draughty, but they ought to have trickle vents, which you can leave open to give slight ventilation.

PenguinArmy Sun 02-Oct-11 23:53:22

plus we've had bits trying to start on chairs (with that crappy plastic leather looking finish) and the fabric on DDs toy buggy. I think we'll have to up the cleaning ante

PenguinArmy Sun 02-Oct-11 23:54:17

that's it, we've not hung really wet washing inside, but we will have to soon. Absolutely no room for tumble dryer

PenguinArmy Sun 02-Oct-11 23:55:02

and we've opened the draughty bits and always have extractors on for cooking and bathing/showering

Honeydragon Mon 03-Oct-11 00:03:05

It may be worth reporting then as that is building maintenance. We had damp and mould up the entire corner of our place that disappeared once we refilled the bottom of the porch and I sent dh up a ladder with his bucket and trowel ( I played the too pregnant card wink)

homeaway Mon 03-Oct-11 09:17:54

It is not normal for you to have that much mould growing everywhere and it is not all healthy for any of you sad. I would advise contacting the landlord and getting it investigated. If it is not a structural problem then i would get a dehumidifier as that will really help. Air the rooms at least once a day come rain or shine smile

I hope you get it sorted soon.

Graciescotland Mon 03-Oct-11 09:32:13

Do you find you have condensation on the inside of the window in the morning? Wipe the bottom of window/frame with a cloth and open up the windows for a few minutes.

PigletJohn Mon 03-Oct-11 11:08:08

do the windows have trickle vents?

can you find any trace of a leak?

bathroom extractors are very cheap to run (typically about 20 watts so will run for 50 hours for 10p of electricity - but dehumidifiers are typically about 2kW so will run for 30 minutes on 10p of electricity) so if it helps you can leave it running. If your bathroom extractor is effective, it will help to leave it running and air washing on a line over the bath so the moisture gets extracted quickly and locally.

LoveBeingAMummyAgain Mon 03-Oct-11 11:14:23

I would suggest that is why it feels well scrubbed, it isn't a new problem! You also need to keep it well ventilated as well as the rest of the advice given.

PigletJohn Mon 03-Oct-11 11:18:25

p.s.

I just looked again, and there are some baby dehumidifiers on the market which only use 210Watts. They still cost ten times as much as an extractor to fan to run (or buy) though.

PenguinArmy Tue 04-Oct-11 13:34:38

thanks all

Lots to take on board

We've emailed the landlady as we want it record now. Will up use of extractor fans (although a little slowly as they freak DD out). We seem to making some progress with opening windows (still no better at closing them yet)

mousymouse Tue 04-Oct-11 15:32:40

all you can do is heat and air. that will stop mould that is the result of normal condensation.
if a wall is cold and damp then there is nothing you can do but moving out.
inform the landlord now. ask the landlord to treat the mould giving a resonable time (2-4 weeks). if the landlord doesn't do anything report him/her to the environmental health team of your council.
for the sake of your child think of moving out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now