Talk

Advanced search

About to buy my first tumble drier - vented or condenser?

(11 Posts)
minxthemanx Sat 01-Oct-11 21:21:51

Which is better/cheaper/more economical?

An0therName Sat 01-Oct-11 21:29:31

If you can arrange a vent to outside I think vented - condenser use a lot of water as well

Cwm Sat 01-Oct-11 21:30:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

minxthemanx Sat 01-Oct-11 21:31:20

Ok thanks, I'm having a downstairs loo/utility built and wasn't sure which type to get. There is a window, and a vent - do I just stick the hose out the vent when I use it? Sorry to be thick.

Cwm Sat 01-Oct-11 21:32:44

NorksandSpencer Sat 01-Oct-11 21:35:21

I've had both and would definitely recommend vented. I find my condenser model not nearly as effective and so it needs to be on for longer and is therefore less economical on power. That's just my own experience, no technical knowledge iyswim smile

fortyplus Sat 01-Oct-11 21:35:50

Friends of ours have a seaside flat with a condenser tumble dryer. It doesn't take such a large load as my vented one and takes loads longer to dry the clothes. They also use a lot more electricity.

YougreatPamplemousse Sat 01-Oct-11 21:36:57

We have a condenser and it is great, we use the water from the condenser drawer to water plants/use in the iron etc. We get about 5 litres of water back from 3 or 4 loads. Venteds need to be on an outside wall or near a window to put the pipe out of, condensers can be put anywhere. I prefer our condenser to our old vented one purely because I don't have to have the kitchen window open all winter when I want to dry things.

An0therName Sat 01-Oct-11 21:50:19

the water is used to cool steam coming off the clothes I think

Cwm Sat 01-Oct-11 22:03:46

Beamur Sat 01-Oct-11 22:06:19

If you can vent it properly, then vented ones tend to be cheaper too.
One small downside with condensers, when the water tank gets full, you have to empty it - mine used to stop when it was full. Saying that, it was a good, quick dryer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now