Talk

Advanced search

How to combat my colleagues' BO?

(15 Posts)
mosaica Fri 30-Sep-11 21:51:13

Hi!

I share my office with four other people. They are lovely, but the two men have awful BO. My table is sadly sandwiched between the two of them and there is little ventilation, so it can be really uncomfortable to work there at times. The smell stays in the office after they leave, I really panic people think it's me who smells when I'm the only one in there!

I really don't get why they don't do something about it, surely they can smell themselves? Or their wives can? Anyway, that's not the point. I know I'll never dare approach the topic with them. My question is, is there any wonder product that can discreetly freshen the air? I don't mean a regular air-freshener, as an artificial flowery smell on top of BO can't be a good combo. Any suggestions?

I've just found out I'm pregnant, by the way - the smell is not going to help with morning sickness, is it??

Mandy2003 Sat 01-Oct-11 11:38:22

The Neutradol gel pots are quite good, you could put one at the doorway and also in each corner of your desk if need be, and they can also be waved around like a censer as soon as the room is empty!

Greensleeves Sat 01-Oct-11 11:39:12

you need a pomander!

Jdore Sat 01-Oct-11 15:35:27

Just go PPPPPPPPPPROARRRRRRRRRRRRRR what is that smell,it reminds me of sweaty pits or something then spray the offenders with fabreeze grin

MadameCastafiore Sat 01-Oct-11 15:42:10

I'd get in early leave a can of Mitchum on each of their desks ansd scarper to starbucks until they have come in.

Or speak to HR - I would see it as my human rights being violated.

Or pounce on them - tell them their pheramones are driving you wild and see what they do!

mosaica Sat 01-Oct-11 21:26:33

Jdore, I love your suggestion!! Definitively the way forward.

Greensleves, what's a pomander? It sounds really sophisticated, I'm off to google it.

onepieceofcremeegg Sat 01-Oct-11 21:28:52

Are the other two people aware of this issue? You mention you work with 4 others in total)

Has it always been a problem? How long have you worked with them?

mosaica Sat 01-Oct-11 22:01:45

Hi,

My other two colleagues are two very nice women without BO, thank goodness. I am good friends with one of them and she really despairs of the situation, the smell can be very overpowering and as I said, the fact it stays even after the smelly colleagues leave the room is horrible. Other colleagues have remarked on this, by the way.

I have worked with these people for 12 years now. Initially it was only one of them with the BO, which was bad enough. Then the other colleague must have stopped washing himself for no reason I can fathom, and he utterly stinks now.

Jdore Sat 01-Oct-11 22:46:29

The "other colleague" isn't going through a personal upset is he ?

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Sat 01-Oct-11 23:30:40

Maybe you can take advantage of the fact it's 2 of them? Go and sort of stand between where they both sit, and say "OK SOMEONE over here is kind of smelly" but make out like you're not sure which one, then suggest the offender gets more regularly acquainted with soap, hot water and deodorant. Bit less embarrassing for them than if you pointed the finger at just one of them, and with luck it might encourage them both to hit the shower in case it's them?

Though of course it's possible each of them will decide that as they can smell the other one, it obviously isn't them and they don't need to do anything grin

RachelHRD Mon 03-Oct-11 20:28:19

We had this issue several times at work with a couple of my colleagues - thankfully I never shared an office with either of them! In the end their manager's had a quiet word with them. Is this possible or could you go via HR?

PattySimcox Tue 04-Oct-11 14:15:42

We had similar and our manager had to have a word - really felt for both of them in that situation.

But neutradol is supposed to neutralise nasty niffs in the meantime

peachybums Tue 04-Oct-11 14:21:30

Walk in with cotton wool up your nose, theyl soon get the hint lol. You could just try have a quiet word with them, they may not even realise they smell! I think id like someone to tell me if they found my odour offensive :s

FreckledLeopard Tue 04-Oct-11 14:23:28

I would not put up with it. I've had to take our au pair aside and tell her she has a hygiene problem. Frankly, I'm not going to sit around feeling sick because someone doesn't have good personal hygiene.

I'd either speak to HR or bite the bullet and email/talk to the offenders. Yuck.

mousymouse Tue 04-Oct-11 15:27:43

you need to talk to them.
or if you can't or don't want to do it, ask HR.
they might not be aware of the smell or they are ashamed of it and hope no one notices...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now