Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about vacuum cleaners

(18 Posts)
schilke Wed 28-Sep-11 15:30:26

I have an upright Dyson - only 2 years old, but it is crap. My previous one lasted for 7 years and only packed up when dh hoovered up loads of plaster dust. This one has been a pain for the last 6 months. I am constantly cleaning the filters and then it works well for 30 mins and then crap again. The top broke off the hose, so when I use it with the tools i have to hang on to it tightly. I could pay to have it serviced, buy a new hose and filters, but that will come to over a hundred pounds.

I have one dog and 4 children and lots of carpet. What do I go for?

IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Wed 28-Sep-11 15:35:32

I also haves dyson and I hate it so I'm going to get a Henry when I can afford it, but I have very little carpet so I'm wondering how good it is on hard floors grin MIL swears by hers though so hopefully it'll be up to the job.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 28-Sep-11 15:36:53

I've a newish dyson and its fine.

Ragwort Wed 28-Sep-11 15:37:56

I've just bought a Vax air something (£116 on Amazon) - am very pleased with it; lightweight but really effective. Also had Dysons and Mieles in the past and not been impressed with them.

Madlizzy Wed 28-Sep-11 15:38:36

henry all the way. He's good on carpet and hard floors. he can cope with anything you throw at him, including plaster dust!

schilke Wed 28-Sep-11 15:39:58

My previous Dyson was fab, which is why I got another. It is also so heavy. I had been looking at miele cat & dog but that's £££! My mil has a Henry and loves it - I hate the stupid face on it. Are they stickers you can pull off?!

schilke Wed 28-Sep-11 15:41:04

Plus I have only ever had an upright!

dexter73 Wed 28-Sep-11 19:59:45

Doesn't a Dyson have a 5 year warranty? I would ring them up and tell them how unhappy you are with it and see what they say.

dexter73 Wed 28-Sep-11 20:03:27

Here is their website.

herbietea Wed 28-Sep-11 20:13:09

Message withdrawn

schilke Wed 28-Sep-11 20:19:07

It does, but I hate the bloody thing. I feel that the suction is not as good as it was, but I have a feeling it just needs a service and I don't want to have to pay £73 when I hate the thing. It is a DC25 with the ball thing, I just felt my DC01, or whatever I had, was fab, whereas this one just doesn't seem good.

I would like to try out a brand new DC25 just to see the difference! I have been tempted by the Miele cats & dogs - perhaps a cylinder one for a change.

lesstalkmoreaction Wed 28-Sep-11 20:23:01

I would only buy a miele, well worth the money mine must be 16 years old and is still going strong.

Sleepglorioussleep Wed 28-Sep-11 21:14:58

We have an upright sebo-we love it.

DreamTeamGirl Wed 28-Sep-11 22:57:28

I have a miele cat & dog
Very very good, if expensive

schilke Thu 29-Sep-11 07:40:18

Well I have sent an email to Dyson just telling them what I think of the DC25. I am going to get a Miele cat &dog.

homeaway Thu 29-Sep-11 10:48:53

Another vote for miele, expensive but still going strong after 10 years. I just have to buy a new brush for it.

valiumredhead Thu 29-Sep-11 11:31:48

Miele - I have two! One for upstairs and one for down blush

One upstairs is 11 years old and still going strong! Dyson are crap - I ditched mine after a year.

schilke Thu 29-Sep-11 15:58:21

It's ordered and coming tomorrow. Why am I excited? How sad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now