Talk

Advanced search

semi-permanent hair dye on carpet

(13 Posts)
AWimbaWay Wed 28-Sep-11 12:03:30

I've managed to squirt hair dye onto my bedroom carpet, I've tried soaking with warm water, washing up liquid, vinegar and scrubbing so there's no pile left.

It's not even lightened it sad. Any tips?

I ruined the living room carpet a few months ago with baby massage oil so feeling particularly irritated with myself.

Honeypie80 Wed 28-Sep-11 17:14:37

Hi

I dont know if this will work but my hairdresser told me that cigarette ash get rid of hair dye stains - i know disgusting but i tried it and it works, that was on that lino stuff we had in our bathroom so if you try it do it on a patch you wont see first to make sure it doesnt lighten it or anything.

Also you mix it with a bit of water, and if that doesnt work milk gets rid of the stains on your skin maybe carpet too, but you put it on and clean it up, leave it overnight then wash the place again with just water and some carpet foam so you dont get a stale milk smell coming through, good luck

stinkyfluffycat Wed 28-Sep-11 17:16:19

Sorry, no idea. But if anyone knows how to get if off painted walls, please let me know...

AWimbaWay Wed 28-Sep-11 19:00:15

Thank you. cigarette ash or milk, two things I'd never have thought of! My neighbour smokes, will she think I'm mad if I go and ask for her ashtray contents to rub into my carpet? I've bought some carpet cleaner which I'll try first then if not I'll go for it with the ash and milk!

ANiceCupofTeaandASitDown Thu 29-Sep-11 16:20:13

Im not sure if it works on hair dye but a few years ago we got oil on our carpet - dh and his bloody bike. The guy who comes to service the gas boiler suggested shaving foam and it actually worked.

toutlemonde Sat 01-Oct-11 23:50:35

bump.

I have various black hair dye stains on various pale carpets all around the house (very clumsy and dye my hair a lot).

Would LOVE to know if there is any chance of retrieving my enormous deposit when I move out rather than it being donated to the local carpet shop...

piprabbit Sat 01-Oct-11 23:58:26

I mixed up a paste of the Vanish powder that you put in the washing machine. I used really hot water and it fizzed on the carpet.

It took time and several repeats, but it did make the stain almost unnoticable instead of looking like horrendous poo accident.

Probably best tried on pale carpets though.

WhoresHairKnickers Sun 02-Oct-11 00:14:12

Oxi Wash. My brother used it on hair dye on his carpet (daft SIL) and it went!!

PigletJohn Sun 02-Oct-11 00:15:21

I'm been repeatedly told that hair laquer spray will loosen it.

Never tried it myself

If you do, please say if it worked.

WhoresHairKnickers Sun 02-Oct-11 00:15:25

pip my brothers carpet is very old, patterned and dark.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 02-Oct-11 00:17:13

Jif works (cif now). Try babywipes too,surprisingly good.

OhMyGolly Sun 02-Oct-11 03:07:20

What about that stuff that removes hair dye from hair, sorry can't remember the name, B something or other. I have used it on my hair and it works, it apparently shrinks the dye molecules so they can be washed away, worth a try anyway.

AWimbaWay Mon 03-Oct-11 14:14:48

Thanks for replies!

So far I have tried the cif, baby wipes, hair spray and shaving foam, (I had those in the house) sadly none worked, wondering if I just left it too late.

It is getting lighter, but after about 30 washes I should imagine it would, after all it is supposed to be semi-permanent! Annoyingly I seem to be washing away the carpet pile too so even if the stain does eventually come out they'll be an annoying bold patch.

I'll let you know if I ever get around to trying any of your other suggestions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now