Talk

Advanced search

Mouldy highchair straps

(6 Posts)
TabithaTwitchet Wed 28-Sep-11 10:22:05

Just got DD's old highchair out of the cellar for DD2 and it was all mouldy sad Obviously whoever packed it away didn't do a very good job of cleaning it.

It is plastic, so I have managed to clean the main body of it, and have swabbed it with copious amounts of Milton sterilising fluid. But the straps are fabric and still mouldy.

I have put them through the washing maching but they are still not cmpletely clean.

Is there any way to get the mould off? Should i just buy a new highchair?

bluelaguna Wed 28-Sep-11 10:26:39

Since your DD is going to be eating in it - putting her hands all over it and then into her mouth, I personally would buy a new one. Needn't cost much if you hadn't budgeted to replace:

Ikea Antilop £10.99 www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00069725

ForYourDreamsAreChina Wed 28-Sep-11 10:28:00

How can it still be mouldy if you've cleaned it? Are you sure it's mould?

Bleach gets mould off.

TabithaTwitchet Wed 28-Sep-11 10:51:30

I assume it is mould- rusty coloured stuff all over the straps. I scrubbed them with cilit bang and hot water, then washed in washing machine but there are still brown patches on them.

Thanks for link to Ikea chair, have used them in restaurants before, thought they were quite good. Didn't realise it was so cheap!

mousymouse Wed 28-Sep-11 10:53:12

I would wash them in the mashine with some nappisan.
they might come out a bit discoloured but should be safe to use.
that said, the IKEA highchair is fab!

tutu100 Wed 28-Sep-11 10:58:01

If the other option is chucking it I would soak them in some bleach and water. Then even if the stains remain at least you know the bleach has killed off any germs/bacteria.

By the sounds of it you've done a thorough job on the rest of it so I would think it would be fine to use.

What highchair is it? Is it worth contacting the manufacturers to see if you can buy new straps? I got a replacement seat cover for my highchair once (Chicco were really helpful).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now