Talk

Advanced search

Washer dryers. Any good?

(16 Posts)
RattusRattus Tue 27-Sep-11 21:20:46

I'm considering getting one as don't have room for both. are they any good or is it just too much to ask one machine to do both things?

DialMforMummy Tue 27-Sep-11 21:35:28

Got an AEG electrolux as advised in Which. Works brilliantly. Totally recommend it.

NanTheWiser Tue 27-Sep-11 22:39:02

Me too, the Lavamat Turbo from JL. The dryers on combined machines aren't usually as effective as stand-alones, but I don't use the dryer much - it's a super machine.

redglow Tue 27-Sep-11 22:47:44

I have had two and i think they were rubbish. The washing takes ages and does not smell very n ice.

AngelDog Tue 27-Sep-11 23:48:39

Okay as long as you don't expect them to work as well as a tumble dryer.

They are often less reliable than separate machines, but it's handy to have the dryer function to use occasionally. (I only use ours occasionally.)

echt Wed 28-Sep-11 06:49:28

Aren't washer-driers a bit like shampoo with conditioner - antithetical?

CaptainMartinCrieff Wed 28-Sep-11 07:29:08

Washer driers are awful IMO... They wash well but are crap when it comes to drying.

MinnieBar Wed 28-Sep-11 07:33:08

Used one on holiday recently and it wasn't great at washing (took ages, left marks) and the drying took literally hours. I don't have a dryer at home but my mum's 30-yr old one does a much better job.

An0therName Wed 28-Sep-11 13:36:22

I had one - when I didn't have room for both - washing was fine - I only use dry occasionally so it for that

Beamur Wed 28-Sep-11 13:40:54

I've got one - I used to have a seperate washer and dryer but had to have dryer in another room as not enough space in the kitchen. They are smaller capacity generally, so I can't wash as much in a single load - but I think it is as good a washer as my old one. The dryer is not so good, a stand alone dryer is much better, so it perhaps depends on how much you use your dryer. I find I use it much much less than I used to, which is probably no bad thing for the environment. You might find there are slightly fewer functions too, but there are enough for what I need it for. I'm happy with mine.

BananaPie Wed 28-Sep-11 19:45:32

Agree with the AEG electrolux recommendation, really pleased with mine. I think the key is to buy a decent one - spend as much as two separate appliances would cost!

PurpleCrazyHorse Thu 29-Sep-11 20:50:58

We also have an AEG Electrolux washer dryer and it is really good. Lots of functions and the dryer was also quite economical. TBH we only really use the dryer in emergencies or during the winter, but we've not had a spot of bother with it in 2 years.

Personally I'd rather separates just so I can wash another load while one is in the dryer (or in case of breakdowns) but we don't have the space.

ColdSancerre Thu 29-Sep-11 20:55:13

Had one that was crap, have one know that is great. We also looked at Which? recommendations.

ColdSancerre Thu 29-Sep-11 20:55:42

know now

Hangs head in shame at being a thickie.

Urbanvoltaire Thu 29-Sep-11 23:02:27

I have a 6month old Bosch one, it's great smile I've no room for both. The drier isn't the best but ok in an emergency. It was £600 or do. It's my fave kitchen appliance!

valiumredhead Sat 01-Oct-11 17:19:40

I had a Miele one and would never have another of any make, if they can't get it right no one can imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now