Talk

Advanced search

Are White Walls too clinical?

(15 Posts)
YouDoTheMath Sun 25-Sep-11 18:00:18

I'm about to paint our bedroom walls and I can't decide between white or v v pale magnolia. I want it light and airy, but not stark and cold. Accessories would be claret.

What do you reckon?

FootprintsInTheButter Sun 25-Sep-11 18:34:57

I think white does often look a bit too clinical, although with claret accessories it could look very nice. I would personally go for a slightly off-white just for a bit more warmth. It's hard to say though without seeing your room. At least white is easily covered though if you go for white and then change your mind!

scarlettsmummy2 Sun 25-Sep-11 18:38:18

I have white and claret, and have to say, I don't love it. I wish i had went with a warmer colour, and am on the look out for a feature wall paper to make it look a little less stark. It isn't awful, but I think it looks a little cheap to be honest.

Hulababy Sun 25-Sep-11 18:39:24

We have white wall sin every room in our house. We use colour from the furniture, curtains, light fittings, pictures and other accessories. I like white. It feels clean. We have a new build house though,, so quite a modern feel.

Beamur Sun 25-Sep-11 18:39:44

I painted a bedroom white and wished I'd gone for off-white, it looked cold and clinical.

scarlettsmummy2 Sun 25-Sep-11 18:43:48

I have black and white in our hall and landing and it is really nice, it just hasn't worked as well in our bedroom. I also have it in my daughters bedroom, however she has all white furniture and pale pink accessories and it looks really well.

ViolaTricolor Sun 25-Sep-11 18:46:20

I like it, it's clean and fresh. Every room in our house is like white, with warm coloured and patterned rugs, curtains etc. We didn't mean it to be, but had new plaster to cover and then found we liked the white.

BastardDog Sun 25-Sep-11 18:46:56

I painted my bedroom walls white once. It was the first decorating I'd ever done, I was about 20 at the time and I was so proud of it.

My dad came to visit and said my bedroom looked like a cow shed. I was very hurt att, but with hindsight he was right.

TheBeast Sun 25-Sep-11 19:01:34

We mainly have Almond white walls (which I prefer to magnolia) but the ceilings, architraves, skirting boards are pure white mainly because I don't trust my taste enough.

When we last redecorated, the children were allowed bright colours; blue red, yellow for their walls but with white ceilings etc. I liked their rooms but still wasn't brave enough for the rest of the house.

YouDoTheMath Sun 25-Sep-11 19:08:04

Thanks all. I might steer clear of white for the bedroom, but will consider painting the living room walls white.

Ugh - it's all such a faff isn't it! Anyone used one of those powered roller things to get it done quicker?

Conundrumish Wed 28-Sep-11 20:49:27

I think white is better in south facing rooms as the shadows you can get in north facing rooms can make it shadows look gloomy and grey.

Abra1d Wed 28-Sep-11 20:54:16

Another vote for Almond White.

We've had it in our bedroom for 16 years. It is softer and warmer than pure white.

Pedicuri Wed 28-Sep-11 21:13:38

I third almond white - just repainted most rooms in our house in almond white again and is the perfect 'warm' tone white! I tried 11 other shade tests and couldn't improve on it, from F&B to Sanderson.

Grumpla Wed 28-Sep-11 21:15:43

I'm a fan of white, easy to paint over any marks, and as my house is stuffed full of crap pleasingly cluttered it doesn't look at all stark or minimal.

Onlyaphase Wed 28-Sep-11 21:46:09

Most of my rooms face south and are very light, and look great painted white. I love the look of white walls and furniture with red/pink/green colours added by accessorising. Have a look at the rooms here to see what I mean

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now