Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have an American style fridge with ice-maker and water dispenser?

(10 Posts)
carpwidow Sun 25-Sep-11 12:01:27

The model I'm after is a Whirlpool. However it has to be plumbed-in in order for the ice-maker and water dispenser to work. I have a water softener and the fridge will not be positioned near my drinking water tap. I'm certain I cannot plumb it into a softened water supply, but can I just use it as a fridge/freezer without plumbing in at all, or does anyone know of a manual-fill one? Advice much appreciated.

ZacharyQuack Sun 25-Sep-11 12:10:37

I have a GE fridge freezer. The water/ice dispenser takes up about 25% of the freezer space. Personally, if I knew that I couldn't use the water/ice dispenser then I would not buy this type of fridge. A non-dispensing freezer would give more useable space.

CrispyHedgehog Sun 25-Sep-11 12:16:56

I have a non plumbed in one with a water dispenser but no ice maker. You put the water in a tank in a door and it filters, chills and dispenses it. Ice we either buy bags of it or just make a couple of trays up and pop them in a bag when we think of it.

tbh even the novelty of the water dispenser wore off after a while and it hardly ever gets used.

this is the one I have

emsyj Sun 25-Sep-11 12:25:46

The ones that store the water to chill and make ice use up a lot of space on water storage - our fridge is plumbed in and isn't near our water tap, the plumbing is really straightforward and you can plumb it into another pipe - it's a self-sealing tiny flexible pipe like a wire.

(not very articulate sorry)

I would either get one that can be plumbed in and plumb it in, or get one without ice and water.

DaisySteiner Sun 25-Sep-11 12:35:05

It doesn't necessarily need to be near a tap to plumb it in. We had our plumber run a water pipe under the floorboards to where the fridge was to be positioned. Wasn't a big job.

SoupDragon Sun 25-Sep-11 12:36:51

I have a plumbed in one and the ice/water dispensers take absolutely no space at all. Well, apart for the box of ice cubes obviously.

It is plumbed into the mains but how easy this is for you will depend where your water pipes are. It's not difficult to add an extra pipe on provided there is a convenient existing one nearby.

emsyj Sun 25-Sep-11 12:40:10

I mean the ones that don't need plumbing SoupDragon - you can buy them where you fill up a container rather than plumbing in, and it takes up a lot of the freezer space. Ours is plumbed and agree the space it takes up for ice storage is small.

tibni Sun 25-Sep-11 19:50:50

I have an LG version that doesn't need plumbing in and doesn't need filters etc. It has a water container in the fridge door that chills the water and it then pumps the chilled water to the icemaker. It also has an attachement so that you can just put the a standard bottled water in the door and it will draw from that.

mine is www.appliancesonline.co.uk/product/GWL227HSYA-LG-American-Fridge-Freezer-Stainless-Steel-16845.aspx

amazonianwoman Sun 25-Sep-11 20:14:15

We have that LG one too, as installing a plumbed one would've meant digging up a concrete floor to connect to the nearest water supply. It's great, water and ice don't take up much space at all. I could live without the chilled water but the ice maker is fab, esp for parties!

carpwidow Sun 25-Sep-11 22:39:58

Thank you all for your help and advice. Am looking for one that doesn't need the plumbing sorted out (that's the fridge/freezer NOT the DH) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now