loader

Talk

Advanced search

dark marks all the way around the edge of the carpet

(12 Posts)
soverylucky Sat 24-Sep-11 20:37:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nickschick Sat 24-Sep-11 20:39:07

My friends elderly father in law (a retired decorator) told me this is due to dust and debris behind the skirting boards that gradually over time with the movements of the house forces out .....

soverylucky Sat 24-Sep-11 20:45:53

nickschick Sat 24-Sep-11 20:47:23

I dont think you can ......unless you scrub at a bit with a firm toothbrush and some carpet cleaner and see if it cleans then slowly work your way around the room?

lizardqueenie Sat 24-Sep-11 20:51:37

My mum once recommended going around the edges with a damp cloth to get the dirt out. Haven't tried it myself but maybe worth a try?

DreamTeamGirl Sat 24-Sep-11 22:20:13

I have that in my (relatively- 5 year old) new build
Hate it, looks dirty!!

nbee84 Sat 24-Sep-11 22:23:17

What nickschicks fil says seems to make sense as I've lived in 4 houses now and have only had this problem in my current house, which is a new build. So sounds like all the building dust and debris from behind/under the skirting boards is the culprit.

amistillsexy Sat 24-Sep-11 22:24:02

I was told it's dirt that's blown in with the draft under the skirting board. I've got it across the doorway into my en suite (bloody expensive carpet goes right through-Grrr). I had it in my old house too, and a professional carpet cleaner managed to get it out, but it soon came back. He did tell me to stop hoovering it so strongly though-I was pulling more dirt through!

nickschick Sat 24-Sep-11 22:25:21

I only found this out because I saw him on his hands and knees tapping at the skirting boards and sweeping out the dust then before the new carpets were laid he put silicone filler on the edge of the skirtingboard and the floor - hes a very meticulous man.

soverylucky Sun 25-Sep-11 21:21:31

nbee84 Sun 25-Sep-11 21:31:48

Me either!

AmazingBouncingFerret Sun 25-Sep-11 21:35:17

Those bloody deatheaters get everywhere, nothing is safe... wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now