Talk

Advanced search

cleaning a teapot

(8 Posts)
berryfreeze Fri 23-Sep-11 15:37:35

bought a second hand teapot and wondering if ok to use bleach(strong one with a fragance) on it to get rid of the tea stains, if not what would be good for it, thank you

stayingsane Fri 23-Sep-11 16:07:20

Use bicarbonate of soda. Not sure of quantity/method etc but you are bound to be able to find something on t'interweb.

Bicarb works. For everything. Gets rid of stains and is also natural. It's also non-toxic and won't damage anything.

Please don't use bleach, in any disguise. smile

jenniec79 Fri 23-Sep-11 16:08:39

Dishwashergrin if you have access to one works wonders

cyb Fri 23-Sep-11 16:09:49

Washing powder and hot water. But beware it fizzes up from spout

NormanTheForeman Fri 23-Sep-11 16:12:01

I would second the soda. If you buy soda crystals, pour some in teapot, add hot water and leave overnight, then rinse very thoroughly it should come up looking lovely! smile

Haagendazs Fri 23-Sep-11 16:14:02

Dishwasher tablet and boiling water, let it soak overnight. Rinse. Job done

moonbells Fri 23-Sep-11 16:20:46

I use denture cleaning tabs! Works a treat (and the cheaper the tab the better!). Just pop one into the teapot, add boiling water to halfway until it stops fizzing then top up to the brim. Leave overnight.

If there's stubborn bits in the spout, use an old toothbrush or q-tip after soaking to persuade them to move!

berryfreeze Fri 23-Sep-11 17:28:52

thank you for replies, I have used the washing powder and hot water,(thanks cyb) have to say worked wonders with minimum amount of scrubbing, and teapot looks as good as new smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now