Talk

Advanced search

I did it, I gave in. I now have a 'happy housemaid'

(14 Posts)
sillyworriedmama Fri 23-Sep-11 12:52:50

Seriously, that's the name of the company, happy housemaids!! Does this make me a terrible lazy mother or is it just good sense? I feel terribly middle class but believe me - this is not something we can really afford, I just decided that in the end, what price sanity?? I cried for an hour last night at the mountain of crap to sort out, I live far away from any family who might help, and have a DH who is frankly, oblivious.

I finally broke this morning when my 14mo mashed his sandwich into the floorboards, bit through a yoghurt pot in the fridge and squirted fromage frais everywhere, threw tupperware all over the floor and screamed at me for <dare I say it!> WASHING UP.

I literally can't keep up with the chaos anymore, and I can't be arsed have decided to gracefully accept defeat. I tried FLYing. I tried a chore rota. I tried accepting the chaos.

sigh

I hope the lovely cleaning lady showing up next week will actually make a dent in it, so I can stop feeling harrassed. Does anyone else out there have a cleaning service? Do you trust them to come in when you're not there? I'm debating whether to be there with her when she comes or just leg it and head straight for starbucks leave her a key and a list of jobs? It feels a bit weird leaving a list of jobs for someone else to do for me. I don't really feel entitled, and kind of feel I should be there to 'help'. Is that madness?

moondog Fri 23-Sep-11 12:53:43

hmm

trixymalixy Fri 23-Sep-11 12:56:28

Yep, I have two cleaners come in for two hours once a week, it saves my sanity.

I trust mine with a key, but that was only after they had been cleaning for me for a while.

sillyworriedmama Fri 23-Sep-11 13:00:48

smile thanks for the reply - how long is a while trixy? I have asked her to come on thursdays for now, while I'll be in with my DS but I think ideally I'd like her to come when I'm at work and the house is empty and calm. Also, if I have appointments I'd like to just let her in, and go. Should I be there every week for a month or so? Then let her get on with it?

LoveMyGirls Fri 23-Sep-11 13:06:54

If it helps you then do it, don't worry about what other people think. I've had a cleaner for the past 2 and a half years and it's been a weight off my mind, twice a month I walk into a house that has been cleaned top to bottom and I feel I have a clean slate.

Some women need a massage to de-stress, some women need a girls night out, some need a cleaner.

Do not feel guilty, enjoy it! Use the time she is there cleaning to spend some quality time with your 14 month old.

Don't assume the cleaner will come and you will have nothing to do though, I find myself the night before and on the morning she is due telling everyone to gather their stuff and put it where it belongs before she comes because I have told her to bin bag stuff on the floors so she can hoover grin She cleans she doesnt tidy and I can put my own stuff in piles smile

sillyworriedmama Fri 23-Sep-11 16:22:53

I know exactly what you mean lovemygirls smile I have just been down to Ikea in preparation for her first visit - I've got three enormous boxes now, labelled 'put away, give away and throw away'. Anything that's been put to one side for the hypothetical car boot sale is going this weekend. If it's not sold, to the charity shop. It's the cleaning that I need help with... the abundance of unnecessary stuff is definitely just tidying. Now I've started though it seems like the tip of an iceberg... I have so much stuff! I felt really silly when I booked them to come, but now I'm starting to feel excited. I hardly ever do something to treat myself, so maybe it's not such an indulgence after all smile

BerylStreep Fri 23-Sep-11 17:56:33

Are you planning for her to clean, or to help you sort stuff, or both?

My cleaner is brill, but she would be overwhelmed by sorting - she likes her routine. If you are expecting help with sorting, just make sure the agency is aware beforehand.

sillyworriedmama Fri 23-Sep-11 18:14:16

nope, I'm tackling the sorting - she's starting next Thursday - I'm going to car boot on Sunday, and charity shop on Monday, then do a final sweep to shove everything into the bin clear the surfaces for her on Wednesday. There's no point having help to clean if she can't actually see the floor or surfaces. Plus, I will feel much better when it's done. I think it's the kick up the bum I've needed to get through it all. TBH I get overwhelmed myself with sorting, I think it's got out of hand because I didn't want to face it. But now that I know someone else will clean when I've done it, I feel more like I can do it, it's not such a huge job you know? If I'm tired after the sorting at least I know I can put my feet up and my house will get clean by this time next week, no matter what. Who knows, if I keep it up, by Dec I may have actually unearthed the house from under the clutter, and I won't actually need any help. (I might like it so much I keep her on though!)

LoveMyGirls Fri 23-Sep-11 19:01:14

It sounds like this is the kick you needed, it will really help your mood, trust me, you can't beat the feeling of walking into a clean and tidy house when you have had to do it all!

LoveMyGirls Fri 23-Sep-11 19:06:32

haven't* must learn to preview

eaglewings Fri 23-Sep-11 19:10:18

Congratulations, sounds like a good decision

Love the days my cleaning ladies come to help, the house is blissful afterwards and even though it gets messy again I can relax knowing they will return smile

CrackerFactory Fri 23-Sep-11 19:17:36

Thank you LoveMyGirls for your post. I always feel spoilt and terrible for having a cleaner but I don't have massages, facials, beauty treatments. I rarely cut my hair and all those other things people do for some necessary indulgent times. I would far rather have my cleaner. I feel a bit better now, as obviously my cleaner is my version of a manicure.

sillyworriedmama Fri 23-Sep-11 19:25:38

me too CrackerFactory smile I was feeling really uncomfortable about it but now it's happening and I see it as my single luxury, I'm really chuffed. Thanks LoveMyGirls

LoveMyGirls Fri 23-Sep-11 19:37:25

Thanks ladies grin ENJOY!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now