Talk

Advanced search

How to clean piano keys please...........know it has to be done but how ????

(11 Posts)
Thehusbandsatcricketagain Thu 22-Sep-11 22:22:09

no idea what to do,furniture gets done with lemon oil polish,kitchen gets blasted with dettol,rest of the house what ever comes to hand

so the keys I am assuming needs none of the above,so what do I clean them with please & ta muchly grin

Ponders Thu 22-Sep-11 22:24:23

I do ours, once in a blue moon, with a damp ecloth

I think I heard once they should be wiped with milk???? but I might have dreamt that.

ecloth does the job anyway

HTH smile

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Thu 22-Sep-11 22:26:01

hmmmm goes to google ecloth ...........

faverolles Thu 22-Sep-11 22:27:42

My GM used to dampen a cloth with milk. I think it helps keep them White. She used diluted vinegar occasionally too.

Ponders Thu 22-Sep-11 22:29:54

microfibre cloth maybe?

I think ecloth might be a brand - they're about £5 each from Lakeland, but you can get them in multipacks from eg aldi for about 99p

(I love them anyway, they are the best cleaners smile)

Driftwood999 Thu 22-Sep-11 22:33:14

Check that they are not ivory before using any chemicals.

Ponders Thu 22-Sep-11 22:43:13

I think I heard that actual ivory needs to be wiped with milk - also that you need to keep the lid up at all times

(but if you keep the lid up they get much dirtier...)

LittleMissWoodscommaElle Thu 22-Sep-11 22:52:19

Don't use polish, your fingers will slip and slide all over the place for ages afterwards.

I just use a damp cloth.

AgentProvocateur Thu 22-Sep-11 23:32:21

DS uses brasso on ours - not sure what the keys are made of, but it's a pretty old piano.

babartheelephant Thu 22-Sep-11 23:48:01

Lemon juice on my ivory keys then polish with duster

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Fri 23-Sep-11 13:20:18

many thanks for the replies,will work out if the keys are ivory first then see which of the above methods works grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now